Show careers after kindling?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyoWool

Reaction score
Have any of you managed to still successfully show and place does after they’ve kindled and raised up a litter?

I’m finding that if I don’t champion my does before they become moms, they just never seem to be able to place as high on the table as they once did before motherhood. (Hey, it happens to us all. I’m never wearing my pre-kids bikini!) More often than not, breeding them almost always means retirement from showing. Yet my bucks show for ever and a day even after they sire multiple litters for multiple years.

I’m just wondering if it’s me or what...

A proven brood doe I sold got best of breed at ARBA nationals :lol: Her half sister escaped at a show (nationals 2014) at 4 months old, and had a litter a month later... then went on to win best in specialty show at the national breed specialty (albeit in youth). I've noticed my does do as well or better after they've had a litter, especially if they have a litter young, but it is very, very different between breeds. With himalayans, they don't need to much hindquarter or flesh condition to be competitive. With other breeds they often never get enough condition back after a litter to do well. It also varies on line and individual rabbit, as to how well they handle a litter.

Latest posts

Back