Should I remove the resting board?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidwestMatthew

Reaction score
We are set up with wire hanging cages and got our first rabbits Saturday night. Two days into rabbit ownership isn't long, but in that time the only evidence I've seen of the resting boards being used is that one of the does has been using it as a restroom. As far as I can tell, she's "rested" on it just long enough to get her leg and bum stained with urine and maybe a bit of feces. Needless to say, that makes handling her considerably less attractive, which is a problem because we'd hoped to breed her soon.

So, three questions:

1.) Should we do anything to clean her up?
2.) Should we remove the resting board since every time we've seen her she's on the wire floor?
3.) Can we handle her safely (e.g., without danger of contracting a disease or something) with the urine on her fur?

Two days in and I'm already surprised at how much work rabbits are - however I'm sure it will get better with time as we get used to it and figure out the routine. :)

Some of my rabbits use their resting boards, some don't. If she doesn't use it, take it out. You can always try it again later.

Since this bun is new to you, I would keep an eye on her to make sure this is a simple issue of staining from the board and not something more serious. Rabbit illnesses can often make themselves known after the stress of moving to a new place. Watch her backside for a bit, as well as her poo. Make sure she is not having a problem with diarrhea and is staying clean. If all stays well, chalk it up to a resting board stain and move on with your plans.

If she just has a urine stain on her fur, she will clean it up over time as she grooms herself. She is absolutely safe to be handled, but with the moving stress, I would handle her as little as possible for a bit.

Breeding her with a simple urine stain isn't an issue. The buck won't care :)

Don't try to give her a bath unless she has really caked on poo and even then it's not easy to deal with. sometimes it has to be clipped out.

If the board is a potty spot try one like this so it falls through. Amazon, ebay, pet shops or local show are all sources.

ezmat__63276.1405035863.1280.1280.jpg

Like Marinea said she's safe to handle but give here a little time, a week or even two to adjust to her new home.

Figuring out the routine is what it's all about and will get easier every day. Have fun! :)

Back