Should I let the sale go through? *needs quick answer*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddy2511

Reaction score
I have a litter of purebred holland lops that I am selling as pets (Not for DQs, I just don't think they conform very well to the standered and some will turn out to be false dwarfs.) Someone has aske to purchase one of them for use in 4-H, and I am wondering if the bunny would useful and able to show in 4-H (as they don't really follow the standard).

Should I let the sale go through, and just warn the buyer that this is pet bunny, or do you think the bunny would be useless in 4-H? Is it possible that these bunnies would be okay for 4-H?

Also, when I am examining the bunnies for DQs, what is a list of thing I should look for?

The way I take 4-H is it's not about the winning but about the raising of the rabbit itself. I got destroyed at the 4-H shows for the first 5 years I showed rabbits, but I was a kid and I was learning how to have the responsibility of caring for an animal. At the end of the show, win or lose, I still got a blue ribbon and premium for showing my rabbit and even won a showmanship trophy those first few years.

Now if you have a parent looking to by for their kid who's interested in just winning, well then don't sell it of course. But I don't believe 4-H should be about just winning anyway, and I know a lot of other parents in my area who feel the same.

The only way I would not sale the buns is if I thought they had nothing to offer the breed and should be culled. There are some with DQ's that still have good points, and false dwarfs are valuable in a breeding program, to avoid peanuts. I have never had a peanut Holland litter, so that means that someone in my barn (probably the herd sire that has a leg) is not a true dwarf.

Besides the fact that hollands don't always breed true and some of the ugliest ones produce much better than themselves.

You are up front and telling them it is a pet quality not show. Leave it up to them to decide If they want it. My daughter has a Jersey woolie that is a horrid specimen for it's breed but she got it to show in FFA. It will be her showmanship rabbit. Like others have said 4-H is not supposed to be about winning but being responsible. At least you know they will learn proper care for the rabbit.

Demamma":14dy0w9g said:
You are up front and telling them it is a pet quality not show. Leave it up to them to decide If they want it. My daughter has a Jersey woolie that is a horrid specimen for it's breed but she got it to show in FFA. It will be her showmanship rabbit. Like others have said 4-H is not supposed to be about winning but being responsible. At least you know they will learn proper care for the rabbit.
:yeahthat:

I raise Holland Lops as well I have been doing so for five years. The DQ list involves many things but if the animal is for 4-H it should not get DQ'd. I will begin with the list.
`White toenails or mismatched depending on color it will be a fault or DQ
`White on the top of the tail
` teeth problems such as mallclusion this is not only a DQ but also needs something to chew on and food monitering
`any health problems
`and many more

Back