Should I bring her inside to kindle

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
Should I bring my Lilac doe that spread out and killed 9 kits last time, inside to kindle? She has 3 days left as of right now, I gave her a box two days ago and she's just sitting in it currently. Looks like she's dug most of the bedding out as well... I'm pretty sure what I felt was a kit in her stomach seeing I felt about a 1-2 inch blob that immediately moved away from me out of reach.. I'm really hoping it's not a singleton as it'll almost surely die with her unless she's a lot better this time. If she's not should I sell her as a pet? I don't want to cull her, she's such a sweetie pie.

I often have does give birth indoors in an indoor cage. Much more convenient to observe them and make adjustments if necessary.

if you did not see her kill them they probably were born dead and she was trying to get rid of them.. I have mine under camera while they kindle and if I see a doe that just sits and poops in the nest box they usually don't have any. BUt you never know so keep the box and plenty of hay in the cage so she can build her own nest some of my does want to do it themselves and will just take out what I put in the box.

Well I currently don't have hay so I've been using shredded paper, she's tossing it all out and just sitting in the box, doesn't appear to me she's pooping and peeing in it but just sitting there, I'm gonna toss so more paper in there tomorrow and watch her, I think I might just set an alarm for 9 and check her every 30ish minutes after that, I can easily peak into their area without her noticing, as soon as I see she's in labor I'll keep watch until she's done and I'll check them as soon as she's had them all. Last time it looks like she went into labor and panicked, they were scattered all over the nest and frozen because she didn't pull fur... It was one of the coldest nights in January that she kindled

If she's a nervous doe, checking too much out of the ordinary can make her worse. If she is a nervous type, moving her in could cause bigger problems like another failed litter. Leave her be, let nature take its course. Usually I do 3 strikes (the HL are the only exception at this point) before they are petted out if nice enough or eaten.

First time moms often do that, they don't understand what's going on, its painful, they don't know what to do with the lil ones.

I know first time moms can be awful, that was the first time I've had a bad first mom, which makes me think their mom plays a big part in how well they mother. I'm hoping she'll do better this time, if she is even pregnant, if not then next time will be third strike if she don't take or has a bad litter, I'll probably put her in a nice pet home if she fails, she's such a sweetheart I couldn't cull her unless I had too.

A year ago last october I had a first time mom kindle on the wire. Unfortunately it was the ONE day that october it fell below freezing. They were all gone after I got home from the store to check on them. She was fine two hours earlier. Later litters have all been a huge success. Mainly because I bought a mini barn for them after that. Never going to feel that guilt again.

Well thankfully my rabbits are my work currently so I can check them often. I felt horrible when I found the last 9 frozen, it was so cold I didn't want to get out of bed, so I laid around for an hour before getting up and checking them... I know I shouldn't feel bad, I couldn't have known that she was going to have them at any point that day... When I felt her belly earlier she felt empty, so I'm kinda thinking she didn't take from the one fall off, which is fine :) We'll try again in about a week :)

If you have an area of long grass you can pull/cut that as a substitute for hay, but be aware that she will also want to eat it, so be sure to gather at least twice as much as she would need for a nest LOL

I generally leave certain areas of my lawn long in the fall just in case I run short of hay or pellets the last few days of the month. Funny thing is that the buns are tired of the hay I get in bales, so the Bermuda is actually a treat for them!!

*ETA: fix stuuuupid autocorrect!!!*

Our grass is mostly mowed by the goats but I'll see what I can pull today, she's due tomorrow, but I'll give her more bedding both today and tomorrow, last time she had the kits a day late, so I wondering if she will this time as well *fingers crossed that one fall off worked* If nothing else she just gets bred again and I'll breed her a bit after the other two does XD give her a nice break of about 3 weeks..

Back