Shed suggestions.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So in the coming spring we are going to be buying a shed to house the rabbits. I am bit of a stickler when it comes to the look, design, space/size, and function ability.

I found one on lowes.com that I really like, but not the price, and want it to be a little bigger.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1#img

My husbands big stipulations are that he wants one that is pre-built, and they just drop on your lawn, and for $2,500 maybe a little over that.

Hoping you guys can give some good recommendations on one. If it helps we live near Danville IL.

Once we get the shed I want to build hanging cages, that are at least 3ft apart, and if anyone has any other suggestions on cage set up, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks guys!!

Do you have many of those carport/shed places around? They are everywhere around here and they frequently have used/reposessed ones for sale reasonably priced (or so I have been told).

Countryside barns.com

That's a pretty average priced "Amish" type shed place, for an idea of drop in prices.

I am curious about the three feet spacing you want. I can see the need for a quarantine area, but for normal housing, it seems like a lot of wasted space, and expense. My cages are a foot or so apart, and that's due to the troughs and buckets.

$2500 for a big shed is going to be tough to come by new (maybe impossible?). Even Craigslist isn't going to offer much, and add in pricing for transport unless you can do that yourself. Maybe an auction? DH's cousin got a good sized one for $1100 that way, but they also have all the tools and equipment needed to get it from point A to point B (they helped us with our shed as well... we got a 12'x12' for $400 from down the road... right place, right time).

How big are you wanting? the Lowes one you linked to was 16x32 which is pretty big... plus the fine print says windows and doors aren't included so there is even more $$$ there. You can fit a LOT of cages in 16'x32'. We were looking through some sales ads and found some good sized metal sheds for $3,000 - $10,000, something we are going to start saving up for. Our 26'x21' carport is just under $3K, but we had a few upgrades that really bumped up the cost (the main one being the direction of the roofing).

Thank you heritage.

I know it's going to be a tough find for $2,500, but that's the limit my husband put on it. We actually got into an argument last night once again about the animals. I said I wanted to be able to expand. What I meant by that was, expand by having a place to put the rabbits, and get them out of the garage, maybe add a few more cage. Meaning 3 more cages for grow out, and maybe 1 for holding sick rabbits. When I said expand what he heard was, Becca wants 46309486325593895 rabbits, and we're going to keep them ALLL!!! Would I like to have more than 7 breeding rabbits, yes, but he won't have it. I would like to have different breeds, and bloodlines to play around with. He told me last night that what HE wants is to have 7 breeders, and 40 kits at any given time. Which is fine, I just wanted more options, and honestly I am dying over here wanting to get my hands on a Velveteen! :runaround: That is what I look like when I see them, lmao. So now he's taking about a 12x8 for like $800.

Pole barns are great, but they require you to hire someone to do the basic poles and roof on top. From there, you add the walls, flooring, doors, etc etc yourself as money and time allows

The section of the mower shed I've been granted (19'L x 8'Wx 6'T) will hold:
6-18"T x 24"D x 36" L
4- 24"T x 24"D x 48"L
4-18"T x 24"D x 48"L
Plus the chest freezer, a 6' tall cabinet, and 55 gal barrel.

The opposite side can fit:
4-18"T x 24"D x 48"L
12- 24"T x 24"D x 48"L
Plus the 55 gal barrel for the water system.

I hope you find the right shed.

when you buy a prebuilt shed, on average, half or more of the money is for labor. In other words, $2500 might buy you an 8 by 12 shed, but could build you a 12 by 16 shed.

check out menards. they can offer plans for sheds, and a materials and price list. And if you needed to ask any questions, I know a rabbit guy in your area who was a professional carpenter until he started having knee and back problems <br /><br /> -- Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:05 am -- <br /><br />
Sali":2qws1bn6 said:
Pole barns are great, but they require you to hire someone to do the basic poles and roof on top. From there, you add the walls, flooring, doors, etc etc yourself as money and time allows

unless you do it yourself. Polebarns are among the easiest form of building construction

That guy sounds kind of familiar. Doesn't he like to use his Admin powers for evil? :lol:

We thought about it for a while, and Jess decided we're not getting a shed, but rather moving in a few years. (possibly near you,) and finding a place with a barn already on it, BUT we do have some building projects coming up this spring, and could use some help.

might as well move over here to the dark side, we have cookies :D

and lower taxes

DBA":tg9cm0qt said:

and lower taxes

DBA!!! Where you been? Great to see you around!

And make mine chocolate chip, please. ;)

Marinea":23aeqc8x said:
DBA":23aeqc8x said:

and lower taxes

DBA!!! Where you been? Great to see you around!

And make mine chocolate chip, please. ;)

Hi, sweetheart, how are ya? yeah, I've been distracted by life and all that it entails, just thought to drop by this morning out of boredom; I woke up too early and don't go into work until late.... :pancake:

Well, get bored more often, OK?

I'd love an update on life and stuff.

And cookies...I'd love some cookies...

Latest posts

Back