She's gone batty!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I started noticing food on the chute beneath Pearl's feeder, and I was wondering why she was suddenly starting to dig it out. But I've since caught her doing something much stranger.

She gets pellets in her mouth from the feeder, and then proceeds to start biting the rim of the feeder. As she is biting the feeder, the food drops from her mouth. :shock: I've seen her doing this a couple of times now. Is there any way to stop this strange behavior?

(On another note, Squeak will go to one corner of her cage (under her water bottle) and dig at and bite at the cage there. ??? But at least it doesn't waste food!)

Are you feeding them some other kind of feed supplement (oats, barley, sunflower seeds, etc.)?

It sounds like a tooth problem to me too. Have you checked them recently? I know hay will help wear them down some and branches are great too. I would take a look at them and make sure they aren't overgrown.

Whoa... I hadn't even thought of teeth... she does, however, have a chew block. I'll make sure in the morning that she still has it. We also have some elm branches that we put pieces of in there from time to time. I'll make sure she gets one tomorrow!

I had to take Squeak's chew block out because it got soiled by her babies before I weaned them. I'll give her a new one and some elm, too.

SatinsRule, I give them a little BOSS now and then, but no other supplements besides hay. I need to make some hay dispensers so I can feed that more regularly without it being soiled.<br /><br />__________ Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:33 am __________<br /><br />I just wanted to update this... looks like y'all were right! I gave her some elm twigs, and I've been giving her hay every day, and she has stopped her seemingly psychotic behavior. Guess she just needed something to chew on! :)

Thank y'all again!

Miss M, are you per chance planning on attending the upcoming show in Collins, MS? I'm looking at going myself, and if so, I'll see you there.

Back