Shamrock's right eye is watery

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studio63

Reaction score
Every since I've had Shamrock in October (8yr.Jersey Wooly) his right eye has always been watery. Sometimes I clip away some of the hairs around his eye area (very carefully) because they become crusted. Does anyone know any possible reasons?

There are a number of things it could be, hair in his eye, eyelashes, a molar root in the bottom of his socket, or a eye infection, to him being a Pasturella carrier, or a blocked tear duct (the one that drain into the nose to a rabbit having allergies to cats or other rabbits or even themselves. Sorry no simple answer, I have hear of very warm (not too hot) tea bags on the eye, allergy drops, flushes of the tearduct.

Sorry but it's not something you can just wave a computer mouse at on the internet.
can you explain it a bit more

Thank you. I'll try the tea bag method. I would like to bring him into a vet - it's just, like a lot of others, right now our circumstances create an extremely tight budget. I ordered a rabbit care book from the library, so I'm sure that will help understand him a lot more. I've owned dogs most my life, but rabbits and their behaviors are very different. I love how he's so courteous to people and doesn't jump on them or bark at them from the window. :)

By the way - I "liked" your page Jack. I look forward to learning more about that breed.

I would certainly give the teabag a try. If it is a simple irritation, the warmth and antiseptic properties of the tea will help and will in any case make him more comfortable. If there is an underlying problem like pasteurella or a bad tooth, a vet may be needed to diagnose and treat it. If you can't afford it right now, use the time in hand to find a rabbit savvy vet. A lot of vets, even good ones, just don't know a lot about rabbits.
---
Okay, I just Googled rabbit savvy vets wisconsin and came up with this, courtesy of the House Rabbit Society. Hope it helps. Not a bad thing to save as a bookmark in any case. :)

http://www.wisconsinhrs.org/Recommended%20Vets.htm

Latest posts

Back