sexing rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you know how, you can accurately sex a rabbit from birth, but it's generally easiest to do it when they are a few weeks old.

There are lots of pictures and threads in the forum devoted to such, but I've made a quick little illustration to show you what to look for (forgive me, I'm no artist!!) but essentially, when you check their genitals (by carefully holding the rabbit on its back - make sure it's relaxed - then gently pulling the skin covering their genitals back to expose them)

You will see a slit from top to bottom for a girl and sort of a 'finger' sticking up, with a round (or slightly oblong) opening for a boy.

baby rabbit gender.jpg <br /><br /> __________ Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:38 pm __________ <br /><br /> Also note that 'boy parts' will become much more obvious when the boy gets older.

heheh thanks, Zass... they make me chuckle, but thought it might get the point across without confusing images of bunny bits (which can be a bit unclear... as I'm sure you will see when you check your own babies, Hermiony!)

A Buck will look like a tiny Stove pipe,
A Doe will look a lot like a Taco! :twisted:
When in doubt: place the rabbit in a paper bag,
Shake gently= The ones that Rattle are BUCKS! :)
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":1buot9hb said:
When in doubt: place the rabbit in a paper bag,
Shake gently= The ones that Rattle are BUCKS! :)
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

:x :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I took a look and I think one of them is male and the other is female. Please let me know if I'm correct. I am only keeping one of them and giving the other one back to the owner tomorrow. We rented both for Easter but are going to purchase one of them from the owner. The first 2 pictures are of bunny 1 and the other 3 are of bunny 2.

Attachments

• Bunny 2 again.JPG
    Bunny 2 again.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 3,806
  • Bunny 2 Possible girl.JPG
    Bunny 2 Possible girl.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 3,806
  • Bunny 2.JPG
    Bunny 2.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 3,806
  • Bunny 1 Possible  boy.JPG
    Bunny 1 Possible boy.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 3,806
  • Bunny 1.JPG
    Bunny 1.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 3,806
Looks like you've sexed them correctly! Bunny 1 looks like a boy and bunny 2 looks like a girl. Do you know how old they are? He could have bred to her. I can't tell if he has his 'parts' in the picture.

They were just taken from mom about a week ago so I think they are still pretty young. I was thinking of keeping them both but don't want them to breed especially since they are siblings.

Attachments

• IMG_0290.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 3,799
As to the sexing..Yep..that's what I was thinking too...they do look young in the other pictures you posted. But with no clue as to possible breeds, it's hard to tell. You said they were removed from mom because she had another litter, and that the rabbits were aloud to run freely in the breeders yard...so rabbits can and will breed as soon as giving birth....yours could be as young as four weeks..I would pressure her to see the parents..and get a birth date before investing in them...just my opinion...but I don't breed pets..

I just asked the breeder and she tells me the bunnies I have at my house right now are 5 weeks old. Based on what I have read online Rabbits start breeding between 4 to 8 months depending on the breed. The mother just had another litter a week ago and attacked and killed 5 out of the 7 of the previous litter. These 2 were the only 2 to survive the attack. I was thinking I would keep one of these two and then get one from the new litter so that I can have 2 males or 2 females (haven't decided which one I'm keeping yet). Do males do ok together or would it be better for me to get 2 females instead. I don't know how much neutering is but don't think I could afford to get it done right now and don't want siblings breeding together.

5 weeks old is VERY young, however rabbits CAN breed as early as 8 weeks (for the small breeds).

I also believe you sexed them correctly. :)

Two males will fight, unless neutered.

How much are you paying for these rabbits? I wouldn't pay much since just keeping a rabbit alive when weaned this young well be a lot of work.

Would it be better for me just to have one rabbit then if two rabbit might fight? I was just worried that it would get lonely by itself. These two are cute together, they cuddle in the corner of the cage and I've seen them grooming each other but I don't want them to breed.

I absolutely would not recommend keeping a 5 week old baby by itself. It's much better for them to have company at that age.
Most rabbit breeders will not sell kits under 8 weeks old, and to be honest, it's illegal to buy or sell them at 5 weeks in many states. (Both PA and NY for example.)

As to getting along, the problem is that no one can really predict what a rabbit is going to do at or after puberty. They might be OK, they may mount each other incessantly(yes, females sometimes do mount females), they may injure or even castrate each other.

Spaying or neutering can help reduce those behaviors...but I've seen a few posts written by people who didn't understand why their spayed/neutered rabbits still fight.

I'm not saying that two rabbits cannot be kept together, just that there will some risk involved, and you should have a backup plan for if they can no longer share their space.

Zass":2v76mrde said:
I'm not saying that two rabbits cannot be kept together, just that there will some risk involved, and you should have a backup plan for if they can no longer share their space.

Yup, that.

FWIW, littermates who are raised together are more likely to get along, but brother and sister WILL breed when they get old enough.

Back