Several rabbits with litters in colony

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reguri

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm insterested in starting a colony for my homestead. I was thinking about 10 square meters (107 square feet) for my two breeding girls, and then have the male in a seperate pen. I'd like to expand on that and have 3-4 girls in the cage when the first two are nearing retirement until I find suitable homes for them (I was thinking one litter a year on each of them til they're 4-5 years)... But is this enough space for the two females to have litters around the same time without turning aggressive against each other? (lots of places to hide from each other of course) or would it be better to have 3 females rather than two?

They would be sisters so introductions and such wouldn't be a problem.

Also, would this enclosure be big enough for the female babies to keep going with their mothers for 20-25 weeks? Or would be it be best to make a seperate colony for them? (It'll be around 6-8 female buns a year if I count in a 50/50 ratio).

My colony is 5x18 (90 sq ft) and I had two sisters in there with a buck and it went ok until they started having litters. The does would get territorial about their next boxes and, although no real injuries occurred, it seemed to me that there was a little too much stress involved so I divided the colony so they could each have their own space. I intend to subdivide it further so the buck has his own space too. I was hoping to just have a buck and two does live together and do what rabbits do but it just didn't seem to go as planned. I did have a buck and a doe in there together for more than a year and they got along great and had a few litters but I think it wore her out. She started looking very raggedy and I had to process her and her two daughters were the rabbits mentioned above that I continued on with.

That being said, there are people who have colonies where things go a lot better although I think they are a lot bigger (think entire back yard) so others may give you a different point of view. I generally love my colony and hope I can get the bugs worked out.

Welcome to the forum!

Back