"Setting Hen" Syndrome

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In a past thread, Someone.. ( i believe it was Jack) Talked about a doe 'setting like a hen in the nestbox'. Well, we are dealing with that again. She's due momentarily and the box needs to be in there. Are there any tips or tricks to keep her from 'setting' ?? She's a big girl and i really don't want the kits to be squished. :(

MaggieJ":3fp57how said:
I don't see the problem if the kits are not there yet. Is she soiling the box, or just waiting in the "delivery room"?

She doesn't soil it... more like it's her 'hang-out' place. She did this when she had just the two kits a while back as well. I'm just concerned that she might flatten them .

generally speaking I find the loungers stop lounging in the box once the kits are there, unless the box is big enough for both kits and lounging momma. mommas don't like having those demanding kits squirming underneath them.

I think it is ok--sort of like she is staking her claim on it--this is MY box. she is just saving her spot.

Mine still does it, she lost 4, had a giant stuck, guess I should be happy it wasn't the first one out.
She does it, but if the kits get insistent, she jump on top of the box, don't really see a problem, I mark them down as ones I worry less about winter breeding.

Latest posts

Back