Serious injury *Need help now please*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
Hi. Ok so it's been a rough morning. Went outside to feed bunnies, and found what looked to be the aftermath of a wild night in the hutch. I found hair all over the hutch and I was completely confused about what happened so I pushed their little house back where it goes and cleaned out the fur. There are 3 bucks that are all about 3 months old and they are a Lionhead meat mutt. The one is maned and the other two are not. The two without seemed to have ganged up on the one who is now missing majority of his long tufts as well as a nice chunk of skin on his hip.

It looks like his brother pulled out the hair along with a big piece of skin. It goes straight down to the muscle. I can take a pic but it's pretty bad and didn't wanna gross people out. My question is, should I try and give him a chance to heal or should I go ahead and cull? The hole is about quarter sized maybe a bit bigger.

If its not an actual puncture, he should heal over fairly quickly. This is exactly why rabbits need separated at weaning or you take a chance on them fighting unfortunately. You are lucky you didn't come upon dead rabbits, they will rip each other apart some times, sorry to be blunt...but that's how they are. If you've not separated them, better sooner than later. Otherwise, some one is going to end up worse off since they've already started.

Where you keeping them for meat or ? If meat, I'd go ahead and FC.

Watch for infection, keep clean and dry as possible. Antibiotic ointment will help to a point (again not for deep punctures) or poly salve works well too.

:yeahthat:

If they are for meat, then I would say definitely cull the injured rabbit right now. Why put him through the discomfort only to send him to freezer camp in a few weeks.

The other two definitely need to be separated asap, or you will likely have more bloodshed. If you haven't got an extra cage, perhaps you can put a sturdy divider in the cage they have. Or simply send them to camp now. It's likely your easiest solution.

These aren't really meat rabbits if you ask me.. He's pretty small and not very meaty. *I was thinking about processing him as my first rabbit* My boyfriend wants to give him a chance at life... He has all opportunity to live, someone on facebook said there rabbit had a dollar size chunk tore of her back.. I figured I'd give it a day or two and if he's not showing signs of healing FC will be his next stop sadly. If he does show some signs of healing I'll leave him be and give him the benefit of the doubt and continue to help him in healing. Sounds fair enough right? <br /><br /> -- September 7th, 2016, 2:25 pm -- <br /><br /> Well they said to just let it live. So I'll let it be and I'll put my best effort into helping it heal.

Buttons, it might be a good idea for you and your boyfriend to talk and clarify in your own minds your goals where the rabbits are concerned.

If you tell us 12-week-old meat mutt, then we give you advice based on that information . . . and most meat rabbits are ready for processing along about then.

If the rabbits are pets, our advice would in some cases be different . . . but I do wonder how many "pet" rabbits would be optimum for you. It's not a great idea to be breeding more pets if you don't have specific plans for them.

And all three are separated now, right?

Not to gang up on you, but I have to agree with Maggie. You seem to have been having a string of issues in your rabbitry. Not too long ago you were looking for donations to buy feed and supplies, and yet you haven't downsized, you have continued breeding. On top of that, several "surprise" litters, and injuries that wouldn't have happened if the rabbits were caged separately.

From your posts, I think you are rapidly getting to a point where you will be in over your head. This is not saying anything negative about you, if anything I mean you have a tender heart and can't make difficult choices. Perhaps you need to sit down and think, as Maggie suggested, about what your goals are. Want to breed meat rabbits? Sell off all the others. Want to sell pet rabbits? Determine which are your best breeders and sell the rest. Focus and stay small for a while. Get a handle on what works for you. Track your costs and income and see if your plan makes financial (and time) sense. Then make small changes.

You are obviously a caring person who wants the best for their animals. Sometimes, that means making tough choices so that things don't get out of hand. You can do it. I know this sounds harsh, and I am sorry for that. I wouldn't be so blunt with you if I didn't believe you had it in you to be strong. You CAN do it.

I was looking for donations because our neighbors who were living with us were politely stealing food and other items and hardly contributing anything. Don't have that issue any more. The bucks have been fine together they just all seem to gang up on the longer fluffy ones. I really don't get it. I'm trying to sell them but I'm about to the point of giving them away. I haven't downsized because I really don't need too, I just need to sell off these last 3 babies. I'm also making money on the side sewing now which helps a ton! I don't think they would make good food or I would cull and process. I don't want to cull for the simple fact they want to give it a chance and I don't wanna be sir jerk... I'm giving him tons of willow, and am going to give him some other stuff that should help with the healing process and keep away infection. I know it's doable, I just didn't want to deal with another sick/injured rabbit. But I guess I'm doing it. Oh well. maybe he'll at least go to a good home? I culled Sailor about a week or two ago, he was the first rabbit I've ever culled and because he was sick he was very rigid and stiff in his muscles which made for a not so good experience. If they bunny goes downhill and looks like he won't pull through I'll cull. Right now he's moving around, eating and drinking. Tomorrow they are apparently going to buy some bandages so we can wrap it *I've shaved the fur around it* I think he could heal completely. Possibly with a big scar but hey it's worth a shot right? I'll keep you guys updated on his progress... Maybe I should get rid of Bibi. She's a lionhead. Maybe Merlin too.. I really love both of them but the pet business is definitely not booming around here sadly. I should've known that. I really don't want to sell either but maybe it's for the best. I started this business to sell meat rabbits not pets and I know that. I'll definitely sit down and talk with my boyfriend. No I don't mind making difficult decisions, I like giving everything a chance. I'm definitely a pack rat though. I don't like getting rid of things especially my bunnies I love. I think Merlin is the world but he can be so difficult and it's hard to hold him because he kicks so much and stuff. I don't know definitely have some thinking to do though :/

I started with lionheads as well. And no, the pet market in this area is not good. Good on you for realizing that.

It sounds like your plan is meat rabbits. It is a solid plan. I have been breeding only a few times a year and have made enough to make the rabbits cost me nothing in feed or supplies. I believe you can do the same, but it will require some changes.

In this area, NZ or Cali's are king. But...buyers want purebred. I would concentrate on one or the other. I see more NZ breeders around here than Cali's, so maybe you could fill a niche with Cali's. The other thing that helps my sales is my record keeping. Buyers want to see lines producing large litters and good grow out rates. 4-6 kits in a litter won't cut it. My kits are weighed weekly and the weights recorded. I write down everything- down to dates nails are trimmed. Buyers respect the work you put into the process.

Another thing that helps my sales is that when a buyer comes to my rabbitry, they see nothing but NZ rabbits. They see that I am serious about my meat lines. They can pick a rabbit and I can go to my records and show them several generations of info on breeding, health, kits, etc.

Lastly, think about your advertising and marketing. I have business cards at my local feed store and Tractor Supply. When I have kits ready, a detailed professional looking ad goes on Craigslist, with photos. I have yet to fail to sell any kit I put up for sale.

I strongly suggest you narrow your focus and review your plan. It will take a bit of work, but it is doable in this area. No, we won't get some of the high prices I see here, but you can have consistent sales and progress if you put the time in to a focused plan. I would be happy to help you however I can. PM me any time.

I wanna get into Cali's really bad funny enough. For starters right now I'm gonna get a hopper popper and sell meat by the pound probably. I'm just getting started right now so I don't have anything pure. I will definitely look for some Cali kits though and work on getting more of them. Sadly I have fallen in love with two black does that are meat mutts, which for right now is perfectly fine *They are both girls, I'm kinda worried about the one. She's already sexually mature and not even 2 months old yet (She's humping her sister A LOT!! *It's definitely a girl! I promise!, her parts down there are a dark pink and the bottom is purple, It looks like a doe when she's ready to be bred)* I'm going to keep my meat mutts because they are my babies but I will look into a Cali trio with papers and I'll start saving up. I will definitely pm you because I could use some help with the professional business looking pics on craigslist! I think I might sell Bibi and keep Merlin as a pet because he is a sweetie (I kinda feel like he would be great for some little girl) I might just keep them as pets (Maybe). Is there a market for Silver Fox around here? I have purebred ones although not registered. Mom and Dad are both on site. Mom is a bit more skittish but dad used to be a pet bunny so he's a oversized cuddle bug who thinks he's tiny.

Understand that around here you will likely be eating any meat mutt kits- they likely won't sell. Or rather, you can't count on selling them. So, you have money going out in feed and not coming back in as anything but a meal. Not a solid plan for getting a rabbitry up and going.

You talk about focusing on Cali's, but...gonna keep your meat mutts...and maybe the lionheads. And you have some Silver Foxes...not focused. If the SF are purebred, maybe keep them and breed them, sell kits until you can get Cali's. But...focus. Maybe keep the SF and then get Cali's too. Two meat breeds. But...focus. Rabbits that don't fit your plan just cost you money. And take up valuable cage space.

Focus. Make a plan and stick to it.

Ok so how much should I sell my SF kits for seeing as they are purebred (p.s. there is brown what I believe is a doe and she's huge!). I'll keep the meat mutts and breed them for personal house meat.
Never hurts to have extra and it's only four girls. I just won't keep any more >3< I couldn't imagine loosing Harlem or Butterball I've had them since they were born. I've decided to keep a kit from both girls litters. Both of them are girls and they are so friendly. I named them Onyx and Obsidian. I won't keep any more than four mutts (Just for house hold meat) So they won't get bred but like every 3-5 months (Not often).
Cali's I need to find some. Hopefully I'll find a breeder that I don't have to drive 5 hours for >3<... I think I'm going to sell the lionheads as much as I don't want to they are a waste of money. I'm putting money into two beautiful creatures but they aren't going to be put to work :( No point. The babies won't sell anyway... I'm having this almost internal fight over keeping or selling these two. There's so many pro's to selling it's hard not to just do it.
Two meat breeds for selling and 4 does for personal meat. I'm not working any other jobs other than sewing which is an at home thing as well. I eventually want to have 50 hutches. Depending on how much I get for sewing these 7 couch cushion covers for this lady I'm going to buy several rolls of cage wire and other supplies (I need to decide how I'm going to build my hutches huh? Wow what a mess I am, I thought I had this all planned but I've changed my mind about SOO many things after having two sick animals)

Edited because I'm a moron and spelled roll as role D//X

One thing to note is the legalities of selling rabbit meat... the rules and regulations are far different than just selling the live rabbits. AND I just found out (via another venture I was considering) that there are a number of laws surrounding who you can sell live rabbits to and limits on the dollar amount. It's easy for it to be under the table, but all it takes is one person to find out and trigger the whole legal avalanche (one member on here had her homeowners insurance dropped).

I mention it just so you know the possibilities. There was one article I was reading about the USDA going after a family for hundreds of thousands of dollars for their teens meat rabbit "business." Chances are slim, but it happens :( .

§ 14-363.1. Living baby chicks or other fowl, or rabbits under eight weeks of age; disposing of as pets or novelties forbidden

If any person, firm or corporation shall sell, or offer for sale, barter or give away as premiums living baby chicks, ducklings, or other fowl or rabbits under eight weeks of age as pets or novelties, such person, firm or corporation shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor. Provided, that nothing contained in this section shall be construed to prohibit the sale of nondomesticated species of chicks, ducklings, or other fowl, or of other fowl from proper brooder facilities by hatcheries or stores engaged in the business of selling them for purposes other than for pets or novelties.

Added by Laws 1973, c. 466, § 1. Amended by Laws 1985 (Reg. Sess., 1986), c. 967, § 4; Laws 1993, c. 539, § 245, eff. Oct. 1, 1994; Laws 1994 (1st Ex. Sess.), c. 24, § 14(c), eff. March 26, 1994.

This is the only law I was able to find for NC and I found it under the Arba site. I will look more though. I wanna make sure I'm not missing anything. But if this is the only law then I have no issue because I keep them till 2 months anyway <br /><br /> -- September 8th, 2016, 8:46 am -- <br /><br /> I don't believe this applies to me, but, here's a link. I plan to process my own rabbits but I'll never have over 20 rabbits probably unless the business is very good.
http://www.ncagr.gov/fooddrug/food/rabbitprocessing.htm

Also after a lot of fighting with myself we're keeping Merlin but selling Bibi. I didn't get into this business for pet rabbits. Only reason we are keeping him is because we've feel in love with his cute little personality.

Ok so it says "Slaughter or process meat/poultry for the general public for personal consumption only." It says that it's a "Custom Exempt Inspection" I'm processing meat for our house, and our animals *The dogs and cats* as well as selling meat to locals. I read through the entire thing and what I plan to do and will be doing at least right now falls under this. Eventually I will get a much nicer set-up, hopefully a good sized shed or 2 or 3 lol

BP, you can't sell any meat without inspections. You can process rabbits for yourself and family as long as no payment is involved. And, you can't sell a live animal and then process it on your property. You can sell live animals and let the buyer take it to their property for processing.

Have you ever looked behind the door at a supermarket meat department? We are talking government inspections of cleanliness, machines, storage, temperatures...all kinds of red tape. Probably thousands of dollars of upgrades and equipment. Not worth it for a casual thing, in my opinion.

Marinea":3ikuxjat said:
Have you ever looked behind the door at a supermarket meat department? We are talking government inspections of cleanliness, machines, storage, temperatures...all kinds of red tape. Probably thousands of dollars of upgrades and equipment. Not worth it for a casual thing, in my opinion.

The USDA has a crazy long PDF outlining all the details. I had someone approach me about buying rabbits for research (college dissection) and Grumpy mentioned it (I wouldn't have realized it had it not been for him!). DH was gung-ho for the whole thing, but that brought it to a screeching halt. Not only do I not want to deal with the investment for the upgrades, the time for the paperwork, I also don't want to be under a microscope.

Well I guess I'll sell live rabbits and what I can't sell will be processed for our own personal consumption. I would eventually like to be able to process and sell rabbits. Well at least I can attempt to sell hides? Ears as dog chew bones? Sell rabbit feet as well.. I'm glad you guys brought up the whole thing about the rabbits and the laws I would've hated to have lost all my rabbits and got a huge fine on top of it all! That would be soo awful!

Latest posts

Back