Register

Selling Rabbit Manure

From vermiculture and selling rabbit manure to rent-a-bunny for Easter photographs, this forum is a place to discuss other ideas for making a profit from rabbits.
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 395.00

Re: Selling Rabbit Manure

Post Number:#16  Unread postby rabbitgeek » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:00 pm

I first read about this on a rabbit forum somewhere.

Take some 5 gallon plastic buckets with lids. Put a small plastic trash bag in the bucket.
Put poop in the bucket up about 3/4 full. Close off the top of the bag with a wire twist
or by tying it off. Put the lid on the bucket. Now you can stack your buckets to save space
when you load the truck for the farmers market or garden show or where ever.

Try not to put wet poop in the bucket. Wet poop will be heavy to handle and develops smells faster.

When you get to your farmers market, you sell manure for $1 or $2 per bag, you keep the bucket.
You can't call it organic, but you can call it unprocessed manure since you don't screen it or
otherwise change it. If anyone asks, yes it might contain some seeds from hay if you feed hay.

After you sell the bag, you can stack the buckets one inside the other to save space on the way home.

Be sure to use good quality plastic bags. I often use plastic bags in buckets to make handling easier.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

The following user would like to thank rabbitgeek for this post
Wild Vitality

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 0.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Boo Boo's Mama » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:15 pm

rabbitgeek

Thanks for the suggestion, I have lots of buckets and my husband works in a community of 100k or so that has a university...that is where I sell my eggs.

BunnyBucks: 2,952.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby Jessykah » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:56 am

do you have to separate the urine from the berries? Does the urine burn plants? Because that would change the way I have to set up my new rabbit cages.

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 4,796.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Anntann » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:37 am

With my own plants, I've found that the urine helps. It's HIGH in nitrogen, and by the time you get it into a bag, and out to the plants, it's been absorbed by the berries.

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 10,839.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby Cattle Cait » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:39 pm

Would you still be able to use pine shavings in your trays? Or is it more desireable not to use anything in the trays and just to sell the berries and whatnot?
Caitlin C
Webberville, MI
The Domestication of Cattle Cait
http://cattlecait.blogspot.com/

"In Cattle Cait country, you not feed rabbit, but rabbit feed you."

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby markzensis » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:56 am

Rabbit manure is excellent fertilizer, rabbit manure nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium content is much higher than that of cattle, sheep, chicken droppings, rabbit manure can improve soil structure.

BunnyBucks: 2,325.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby PulpFaction » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:04 pm

I am filling up my greenhouse beds completely with rabbit manure, alfalfa leftovers, and oat hulls this year with just a bit of soil mixed in to hold it all together. There will probably be a lot of weeds from the grains, but I figure it will just go back to the rabbits anyway.
Rachel
Thriantas and Silver Fox in Anchorage, AK
http://www.haikuheritage.weebly.com <-- NEW WEBSITE!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Haiku-Heritage/180319155321429 <-- JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK!

BunnyBucks: 135.00

Post Number:#23  Unread postby Tom in Kingman » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:33 pm

Just a thought from a newby . Since rabbit manure is so "special" why not explore another "special" market ? I knew a fella a while back that approached the rose growers market . He said they would kill for it . Also perhaps orchid growers would want the "best" stuff they can get .I remember years ago when Bat droppings were considered "The Holy Grail" of plant food . People were paying lots of money for it to feed their house plants . Sometimes people just don't know how good a product can be for them . Soooo if you can't find a market ..... create one .
Tom in Kingman AZ
NRA
US PARATROOPER '64-'66

BunnyBucks: 7,340.00

Post Number:#24  Unread postby hoodat » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:24 pm

If you have a place to set up a compost pile or two you will get more for well composted rabbit manure than for fresh and it has little or no smell so people like it better.
Lots of people talk to animals.... Not very many listen, though.... That's the problem.

Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BunnyBucks: 260.00

Post Number:#25  Unread postby garnetmoth » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:57 pm

a sweet local market owner has been giving away burlap coffee bags (I think she receives her ceramic pots wrapped in them) and I got over a car-full. I am thinking of making bunny bean manure tea bags and seeing if they go at market. We have a nice little farmers market and I am doing a work-share for their CSA also.

BunnyBucks: 7,340.00

Post Number:#26  Unread postby hoodat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:14 am

tomcatrabbitry wrote:Would you still be able to use pine shavings in your trays? Or is it more desireable not to use anything in the trays and just to sell the berries and whatnot?

I wouldn't use pine shavings if it's meant for garden use. Wood can be very slow to break down. If your rabbits are anything like mine there will be enough wasted hay coming through the bottom of the wires to take care of it. If you are using 1/2X1/2 on the floors it may not come through but you can gather the wasted hay from the cage and toss it into the trays.
Lots of people talk to animals.... Not very many listen, though.... That's the problem.

Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BunnyBucks: 80.00

Post Number:#27  Unread postby TeamHillbilly » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:43 am

try using it to rising worms their casting bring more plus the worms sell good too.

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 34,466.00

Post Number:#28  Unread postby ladysown » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:33 pm

wood shavings + raised beds or compost bins + rabbit poop = happy worms

add to that... hay, household leftovers, and what not.. and you have VERY happy, very reproductive worms. Which...YOU can sell. Guy here about one hour from me sells a three gallon pail of mixed waste with worms for $25-35 (depending on how much waste is in the bin).
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

BunnyBucks: 100.00

Post Number:#29  Unread postby Dirty Harry » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:47 pm

Rabbit manure is the best for fertilizer and is in high demand. I use a lot of it in gardening. I use no commercial fertilizers. Rabbit manure is the only one you can put directly on your plants without composting first. I dig a deep trench for seeds, fill it most of the way up with manure, plant the seeds directly on the manure, then cover with soil. I have great vegetables and sell the excess at farmer's markets. The only thing that destroys the value of the manure is having hay in it. No one wants the weed seeds in the garden, plus the stems don't break down fast enough.

BunnyBucks: 22,550.00

Post Number:#30  Unread postby Secuono » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:41 am

No market here, but I'm wondering, what about guinea pig poo, is it hot or safe?

PreviousNext