Register

Selling newborns as pinkies/feeders

From vermiculture and selling rabbit manure to rent-a-bunny for Easter photographs, this forum is a place to discuss other ideas for making a profit from rabbits.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 18,991.00

Selling newborns as pinkies/feeders

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Bad Habit » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:13 am

So... I have my original doe. I have a kit from her I'm keeping, and another doe that's being returned. My plan was to retire my original doe once I had 2 to replace her.

By retire, I mean either putting down or petting out.

I don't think she'd make a good pet. She's a very hormonal doe, quick with her feet and teeth. Seems like a liability if I rehome her. I feel badly though, thinking about putting her down.

She's sweet as pie and easily handled when she's pregnant or nursing. But I don't need three does to breed for pet quality animals, and Lily isn't the best quality doe.

I have had some people inquire as to feeding their reptiles, but by the time I sell the babies, they're too big.

Is it wrong to keep a doe pregnant and pull her litter from her to sell as pinkies? I could/would occasionally foster litters onto her from the other does, so she's not constantly popping them out and then being forced to dry up and breed again. I just wonder if it's mentally fair to her, or if she'd be better off put down. I'm going to see how she is after I've weaned this litter, and hopefully she's calmed down enough to rehome to a pet home or another beginner breeder. But if she hasn't calmed down, then I don't know what is best for her.
Bad Habit Rabbits
Just like a Bad Habit, I can't make myself quit rabbits ;)
Visit My Website
Like Me on Facebook

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 22,550.00

Re: Selling newborns as pinkies/feeders

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Secuono » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:16 am

I think if you space it out, it would be ok. But non-stop would be too much. She is still making milk and growing the kits in her, after all...

Female

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Bad Habit » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:28 am

Well, I was thinking of breeding back after 2 weeks/a month. I was also debating just pulling any harlequins out of the nest box, since they don't sell as well. I'm weaning on wednesday, though, so hopefully she'll be calm enough to think about sending to a pet home. I'm going to give her at least a month before I make a final decision, unless she's absolutely wretched.
Bad Habit Rabbits
Visit My Website
Like Me on Facebook

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 11,295.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby ZRabbits » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:36 am

Lion heads are too big as feeders at time of weaning? 4-5 weeks? I've thought of feeders as well.

BTW, silly question, but what is a pinkie? Kits just born as feeders?

Karen

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Secuono » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:45 am

Pinkie is a newborn, still pink with little no no fur still.

I think people prefer the pinkies because they look less like cute bunnies and more like pink aliens.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Post Number:#6  Unread postby ZRabbits » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:04 pm

ChickiesnBunnies wrote:Pinkie is a newborn, still pink with little no no fur still.

I think people prefer the pinkies because they look less like cute bunnies and more like pink aliens.

Thanks for the explanation. I think someone who's using feeders really aren't worried about the cute bunnies, but their reptile they are feeding it too. I think it's more the lack of fur. I've seen a few people discussing feeder mice at the Pet Store I go too. Reptiles got to eat too.

Karen

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Secuono » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:19 pm

----------------------

Female

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Bad Habit » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:20 pm

Well, the main guy I was talking to breeds beardies, so size is the factor there, lol.

I think it's also easier for reptiles to digest the smaller meals? I would imagine it equals out to the same cost over time - smaller meals would have to be fed more frequently.
Bad Habit Rabbits
Visit My Website
Like Me on Facebook

Post Number:#9  Unread postby ZRabbits » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:22 pm

ChickiesnBunnies wrote:I was giving a reason as to why larger meals aren't used much.
There's no way everyone only has small pets to feed. I'm sure several cold easily eat a larger rabbit, but the owner doesn't want to deal with that or an up in price.

Thanks ChickensNBunnies. Read your reply and kind of thought the same as you about owners. I don't know if I could pull pinkies (definitely peanuts), but the rabbit feeders I've seen (where I got Willard) do request a bigger bunny. The ones they have are at least 5 weeks old or older. All comes down to owners. And there are owners of reptiles out there that want to deal with that and also don't care regarding price. It's what best for their animal.

Karen

Canada
BunnyBucks: 16,745.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby 3mina » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:15 pm

It's a good idea as far as I can see, as long as you're giving her a beak between. As for the mentally taxing portion of your question it'll probably bother you more than her
Rex and American Sables

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,912.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby ollitos » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:39 pm

I have started doing 1-day breed back for my meat does. Rabbits are not emotionally attached to their young and by 4 weeks they abandon the litter in the wild.

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 48,829.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby skysthelimit » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:02 pm

The snake guy I sell to wants big rabbits. My retired breeders and non showable jrs go to him. Thinking of the breeders I have now, I wouldn't pet any of those out.

One of the reasons I got silver fox was he wanted big rabbits, but it takes a Rex months to get the size he wanted, Silver Fox do that in weeks.
German Shepherds*Rush Hour Rabbitry*Rex *Jersey Wooly*French Angora
http://www.foursquaremicrofarm.us

BunnyBucks: 1,235.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby Maxine » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:31 pm

ollitos wrote:I have started doing 1-day breed back for my meat does. Rabbits are not emotionally attached to their young and by 4 weeks they abandon the litter in the wild.

Is a 1-day breed back 24 hours after she gives birth?

Canada
BunnyBucks: 16,745.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby 3mina » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:39 pm

Maxine wrote:
ollitos wrote:I have started doing 1-day breed back for my meat does. Rabbits are not emotionally attached to their young and by 4 weeks they abandon the litter in the wild.

Is a 1-day breed back 24 hours after she gives birth?

Yup :) it's what they're designed for
Rex and American Sables

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 12,081.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby Peach » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:47 am

Pinkies are good for the smaller reptiles. My bearded dragon LOVES pinkies. Unfortunately she needs a few more months under her belt so she can swallow a newborn rabbit. She can do a mouse pinky no problem. She can do a fuzzy, but no more than two. While newborn rabbitst may not be great for a baby/sub-adult beardie, they would make a nice meal for ball pythons for most ages.

Rabbits can handle breeding schedules that we normally would think outrageous. I just check the overall condition before I breed back. Normally, my problem is them GAINING too much weight with the babies!

Next