selling composting materials?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
I think we will need to start sending as much small animal bedding as possible off the property. Most of it is with broken down pine pellets, guinea pig or chinchilla manure, and some stray certified organic weed free hay. Can I get away with charging for a 50lb feed sack full despite it containing a fair amount of wood? If it could pay for our bedding costs it would be a nice system but mostly I just want it gone. I only have about 10 feed sacks so if I want to sell specific amounts bagged I will have to buy a cheap bulk pack of burlap bags. I do have some piles outside that I was thinking of offering free if you shovel and haul. Opinions?

Mulch with fertilizer, OR, oyster mushroom substrate. :mrgreen: Perhaps selling inoculated bags of sterilized substrate as "oyster mushroom kits" would fetch even higher prices?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/249202979/ ... hgodC1wAIA

https://www.etsy.com/listing/211995684/ ... hgod93kB9g

Your question about what to do with the stuff was part of what prompted me to give this a try. :)

I was a bit worried, since phenols in pine can negatively impact mushroom growth, but I tried it anyway since the pelleted bedding seems to be rather low on those.
I just used the left over pelleted pine horse bedding with it's guinea pig pee and poo, some spilled hay, and some coffee grounds. I filled about 1/2 of an old 50 gallon fish tank with the stuff (unsterilized) and a cheap little block of mycelium. The mycelium completely colonized it within a few months. There are some redworms in there too. Not sure if they do anything to help, but they didn't seem to cause any harm either. Sterilizing the material would to reduce chances of failure and is said to increase yields.

I hold some hope that this method can help my stuff compost faster, or at least allow it to be useful while it's sitting around. Once I've taken what I want to inoculate new bags of substrate, I can bury the rest in the garden. If I'm lucky, it may continue to bloom from there.

Attachments

• DSCN3572.jpg
    DSCN3572.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 880
  • DSCN3566.JPG
    DSCN3566.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 880
Actually I have one person coming tomorrow, 1 person that wants me to text them, and 1 person who might even do repeated pickup bringing homemade foods for trade. <br /><br /> __________ Thu May 19, 2016 10:38 pm __________ <br /><br /> Well one person loves the stuff and is coming back for the rest of what I've got outside and someone is picking up bags tomorrow. One person backed out because their husband convinced them using manure compost around children would be unsafe. :? :lol: We had a 20'+ long 10' high horse manure pile growing up and sometimes when it was drier we would use the lowest part to climb on and mount ponies from. It was also on the curve between the barn corner and coral run in leading to the main pasture so if the ponies got their heads they'd careen around the corner to try to get to the rest of the horses and my mom and grandma just commented on it being a soft landing if we fell off. Hose off well enough and take a good shower when you get back inside and you're good.

I lived barefoot when I was a child. We had horses, cows, and when we were in FFA we also had sheep and pigs. I only had to get wormed a few times :lol: I just wish it had helped my allergies like it's supposed to. I guess I should be glad I grew up on a farm no telling how bad they would be if I hadn't.

Good job on getting the composting stuff sold!

I should probably have been dewormed before now. I have debated giving myself ivermectin because doctors just don't think about these things being necessary or a cause for symptoms. My immune system is pretty bombproof. It's actually a problem sometimes because seriously ill for me barely shows symptoms or altered test results. Not only do I not get treatment until something pushes it over the edge but people often expect me to keep up doing things when my body is exhausted fighting an invisible infection (or maybe a parasite they won't accept I could have).

After seeing a worm wriggle across the lens of her eye, my sister started taking dollops of ivermectin whenever she'd worm her horses. The eye worms disappeared and her sinus allergies improved considerably!!!

Back