Seeking advice on handling my buns

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The last few days have been quite cold and other than daily maintenance I haven't really been handling my rabbits. (1 buck/2 does aprox. 7 weeks old) I haven't seperated the 3 either because I was affraid with it being in the 30's at night they may get cold without each other to snuggle. Tomorrow is separation day for sure since the temps are going to be above freezing at night now.

Well, today I went outside to handle/play with them and they were not having it. Two of the three scratched me when I picked them up and managed to slither out of my hands back into the hutch. The entire session seemed to be stressful on them so I gave up. It is pretty windy here today so I attribute a little of the sketched behavior to that. 

Other than daily interaction can you guys recommend some handling technique? Specifically picking them up. I know very little to nothing about rabbits in general so any advice or tricks appreciated.  

My advice is to keep at it. Talk calmly, move calmly. Holding them with two hands and close to the body works best for me, I think it makes them feel more secure. If they're still not having it, try calmly flipping them upside down with their head/ears tucked in the crook of your elbow next to your body. Wear gloves and long sleeves to protect your skin, this also protects the rabbits since you wont accidently drop one if they scratch. Lots of touching while doing your chores may help too, even if you don't have time to pick up each one every day. A few strokes to the back and sides can tell you a lot about your buns health and even may tell you when your girls are ready to breed.

Rae gave good advice. Rabbits usually don't scratch as a defensive or offensive mechanism like cats, they are simply trying to run away. Since one is holding them, it is sort of like a deer on slick pavement, they run but don't get anywhere, except for making multiple scratches on your arms. Hold them against you body, and make sure you are wearing a long sleeve garment of some heavy material like twill or denim. Something like a T-shirt won't help much. You don't want to hold them around the neck... that makes them think they are going to be eaten. The best thing is to cradle them in (on) one arm, like a baby and hold your other hand over the top. Sometimes if you cover their whole head, gently, with the other hand (so they can't see) it will help. Just remember that holding the back of their head doesn't usually work well.

Some rabbits calm down quickly, others take a long time. In general bucks are easier to tame than does, but this isn't always the case. Bucks, once they relax, really like their noses rubbed lightly on top with one or two fingers. If they draw back, then wait for another day. Feeding them goodies at the front of the cage, without trying to touch them, will help too, so they don't expect that every time your hand comes into the cage you are going to grab them. Finally, if you have top opening cages, that may be more of a problem.....predators come down from the top, and instinctively rabbits find that scary.

I have picked up young rabbits by the "scruff" of their neck/back skin, like a cat picks up a kitten, but I don't do it any more, because in doing so when processing 8 week old kits, I found that it bruises the area under the skin. While that isn't serious damage to the rabbit, it is unnecessary. It is best to pick them up with both hands, one hand across the back, and one hand underneath. Thin leather gloves might help, but most rabbit raisers have some hand scratches here and there.

Thank you both for your replies. I truly appreciate the pointers. Bunnies certainly are interesting little critters. 

I'm hoping that they'll be a little easier to handle tomorrow since I will be moving the does out. I'm a little nervous as I will also be attempting to sex them too just to be sure. 

I just set up a little play area fashioned from the walls of 2 metal dog kennels. It's just big enough for me to sit within it confines. My plan is to allow each bun a little one on one play time with me on their terms in hopes of gaining their trust. 

Latest posts

Back