Seed swap??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanineWild

Reaction score
Kind of unrelated to rabbits, but given feeds and such, maybe a bit relevant. At the very least, I'm sure there are a few people on here who garden.

Basically, since seeds where a bit tricky to find last spring,and I doubt it'll be much better this year, does anyone want to do any swapping? Not just with me mind you, it'd be cool if anyone wanted to!

Personally I don't have much stored, except an absolutely massive amount of calendula/pot marigold seeds from last year. If anyone wanted any, I'd be happy to trade for pretty much anything.

I'd be particularly interested in finding some giant/mammoth type sunflower seeds, and any sort of medicinal plants or dye plants (getting obscure, I know XD). I also wouldn't mind trying to grow a few mangels if anyone has any. I've heard of them on here but never see them for sale.

I'm in Canada, so I suppose keep that in mind, but as far as I know shipping a few seeds is probably fine between US/Can?

Sometimes you can plant seeds that aren't sold as seeds. I plant some of the black oil sunflower seeds that I get for the buns. They usually sprout and grow more sunflowers although frequently the birds enjoy them more than the rabbits. I did try planting some navy beans that I'd gotten to make soup from, but none of them sprouted which I thought was really odd since soup beans have sprouted before.

I've gone to some of the more obscure seed sources when the main ones were shut down due to too many orders. Although, I'm usually looking for seed sources from places much further south so maybe they wouldn't be of much use to you.

Can you get Open Pollinated or Heirloom seeds and then save seeds from the plants for the next growing season? Most of my garden is from saved seed, although I do still like to get in a few new varieties each growing season to test out to see if they taste better and grow better than the ones I already have. So far one of my favorite soup beans is "Good Mother Stallard". It's a pole bean and pretty tasty as a snap bean but really excellent as a soup bean.

I'd send you some, but I can't mail anything off the island without getting it inspected first and sending seeds internationally gets really complicated from our island.

I actually did manage to find a bunch online this spring, so I'm pretty excited to get going soon! Just spent the morning making frames for plastic row covers I want to try.

I found a bunch of beans that my grandma had saved several years ago, and I'm going to try to plant a row and see what happens, just for fun. They're old, so I have my doubts, but it's worth a try. Good idea with the boss! It's always stiff competition with the birds and the wild rabbits and the deer around here, but hopefully I can save some for myself ;)

Too bad mailing can get complicated- totally understandable, but I think it would be so fun to exchange seeds with people, but most are in the US, so I never know if I can really do it. I definitely want to save more seeds this year too.

My sister actually gifted me a packet of 'bee lovers' seeds too, as I'm getting a hive year! I've never had much to do with flower gardening before, so that's something to have fun with also. Busy busy busy!

“I found a bunch of beans that my grandma had saved several years ago, and I'm going to try to plant a row and see what happens, just for fun. They're old, so I have my doubts, but it's worth a try.”

Try putting them in between damp paper towels in the sun for a few days, the viable ones will start to sprout, the others give to the birds

Latest posts

Back