Second kindle preparations

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEP board

Reaction score
Well, I put the nesting boxes in with both does this morning. The first time they treated the boxes like an intrusion but this time they both dived in and started digging around. I'm taking that as a good sign. I have the powderless paper chips in there as well as some additional hay in the corner of their cage in case they want that as material. So I'm hoping this second time out is a success. Due dates are this weekend.

The same doe as last time had a kindle tonight. I was a bit surprised as this was day 33 and I was beginning to think it hadn't taken. Two were dead, one in the nesting box and one she had on the outside of the box as I did my last check of the night. I'm assuming she probably took it out and hadn't gotten to the one still in the box yet. I removed the one from the box. I didn't want to spend a lot of time looking through the box but the rest were moving around and I think I counted about seven. This time she did pull fur and put it in the box, she didn't do that at all last time. So we'll see if the live ones make it and how well she takes care of them. I'll have a better count tomorrow in the light.

Here's hoping!

It's sounding great so far! :p

Some does will clean up their nest boxes by removing dead kits. My retired doe used to line any dead kits up at the front of the box (but still in it). Others will do nothing, and you have to go through the nesting material thoroughly looking for dead kits -- all of it. The sooner after kindling you do it, the better, as a dead kit will begin to decompose quickly in the heat... making for a very unpleasant experience and possibly fouling all nesting material including the fur. I missed one long enough to do that. Eeeew.

It's also possible that she didn't get into the nest box in time, and had one on the wire that was alive but died because it wasn't in the nest. Definitely not out of the question since it's only her second attempt. But it's very encouraging that she has gotten everything right this time, except possibly for that one kit. :)

:popcorn:

Counted eight this morning. They all looked full except for one that was a bit smaller and more wrinkly. But that was just a quick inspection. Keeping her food full and added some collard green and parsley which she enjoys. I've decided to have as much of a hands off approach this time around and let her do her thing. I'll check it again later today just to see if any have died. Keep checking the other doe but no kindle with her and today would be her 33 day.

That's a nice litter! :)

Day 30/31 is an average... they shouldn't kindle too much before or after, but sometimes you have does that help make the averages. :roll:

The runt didn't make it, but the other seven seem to be fat and happy. Today is one week. So I'm very pleased with this second kindle.

:)

__________ Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:05 am __________

Well their eyes are open and they're in and out of the nesting box now. Really seem to be a nice, active bunch. Very happy this is working out! :)

All seem to be good size with one that is really large, much larger than the rest. Curious if this one is a doe or a buck? If it's a doe I may keep her since she's so much larger than the others. At what age can you tell the sex? <br /><br /> __________ Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:37 am __________ <br /><br /> Also, when do ya'll normally take out the nesting box. Keeping in mind that I'm in Florida so cold is not an issue this time of year. Thank you.

SEP board":qggosyrt said:
Also, when do ya'll normally take out the nesting box. Keeping in mind that I'm in Florida so cold is not an issue this time of year. Thank you.

We don't remove the nestbox until all the kits have their eyes open. At that point they usually start to venture out. If it's warm, then the box comes out. If it is cold, or cold is in the forecast, we remove the top half of the front of the box to allow kits to move in and out easily. In your situation I'd think as soon as they have their eyes open, it could come out. And as you'll see advised in many posts, change the material in the nestbox when the eyes will be opening if it is at all wet or soiled.

Bit of an update: The seven continue to do very well. All active and hungry for pellets. I've separated four of them to their own cage and kept three with mama. It's my understanding that you want to do this so that mama dries up gradually. And it also helps me in making sure that each group has enough pellets. They're 8 weeks old today. As I understand it, many here like to harvest between now and 12 weeks? They don't look big enough yet to harvest, though I haven't weighed them and I'm not sure yet exactly how big they'll get as they are a mini lop/english lop hybrid. The english lop does at three months were probably 8-10lbs (that's a guess but they were good sized rabbits and about twice the size of the mini lop buck). IIRC, a lot of folks here like them to be 4-5lbs when they harvest?

As this is the first successful kindle with this combination it's all trial and error. If necessary I can always get a buck in a breed that is more akin to raising meat rabbits to breed with the english lop does.

I also have a NZ/Cali hybrid that I'll be breeding in a month or so. :)

Nice update!

You can weigh the kits and count on about 50% dressed weight. Process them when they're big enough :)

Back