Scott's Turf builder grass seed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeannie

Reaction score
Good Day All,

Have a person I sold rabbits to 3 years ago call me ~ rabbits sick.

After much talking to find out the problem and a home visit, I think we have a poison problem that has caused gastrointestinal distress.
I read the hazard sheet on the grass seed and it looks to be the cause. He seeded a week ago.

Has anyone had a similar issue and advice?
I told him to massage tummy's, push water, flax seed oil initially, and simethicone.
Any other advice I can pass on?
They don't seem to be in pain, no teeth grinding or other signs.
He called Scott's they said supportive care.... what more?

Unfortunately, no poops.
Doe looked (to me) to have hours left to live.
Buck looked mildly lethargic, but no poops in the box he put them in.
Both took water and food from syringe willingly.
I did hear slight gurgles in bucks abdomen.

The third rabbit not showing symptoms yet. I told him to put her in pen and watch for poop and manners.
They were free roaming in the yard all the time and eating the seeds and new grass :(

Bunnies still alive ~ even the doe. He did text me about E.cuniculi and wondered if that could be the problem.
The bunnies have lived there for 3 years with no problems before. No new bunnies introduced, ever.

I did not notice head tilting when I was there.
Doe: complete paralyses, buck not so complete. He started symptoms a day later than the doe.
The doe did poop a little, so the gut is not totally shut down. She is being hand fed and watered.

Would Panacur of Lapizole be recommended?
I didn't think it would hurt, but I wasn't sure in this case and didn't want to give bad advice to the guy.

Why would e. cuniculi suddenly show up when they have lived in the same place with no contact with other rabbits? Always look for the thing that has changed.

Sorry, I have no knowledge about Panacur or other medications. With the exception of a few shots of Pen G with procaine for a favourite doe with an abscess, I never medicated my rabbits.

I agree MaggieJ, but I wasn't totally sure. He was feeling so guilty that I told him I would ask the forum.

The doe is still alive, still paralyzed. I told him I don't know if the poison will work it self out. And if it does, what permanent damage has been done. He has been caring for them non stop. Feeding, watering, etc.

I also told him, as hard as this is that I would put the rabbits down for him. I told him that's what I would do if the rabbits were mine. At first he said okay, then he said he would care for them as long as he could... see if the poison works it way out. He'll call me if no change in a few days.

I don't know what anti-fungal (the Turf builder) does to a rabbit, but I'll keep you posted.

Latest posts

Back