Satins for Meat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheila

Reaction score
I raised NZs years ago and want to have a few meat rabbits again. How do you feel about Satins for meat? I understand they originated with NZs.

I did read all the replies to the thread about best breeds and didn't see them mentioned.

Thanks.

Sorry Sheila,
I have no experience with Satins. Surley someone around does though....

:hi: Welcome to RabbitTalk, Sheila!

There are several breeds that make good meat rabbits besides the usual New Zealands and Californians: American Chinchilla, Silver Fox, Champagne d'Argents, and Satins come to mind.

Here is a website that might be of interest to you:
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Meat+rabb ... 0118444521

I have never raised Satins, but they certainly do have beautiful fur!

I've been looking at adding Satins to the meat pen. They're gorgeous and meaty. Not as BIG as the NWZ, but apparently make a really good cross. There's no reason you have to have a 5lb fryer all the time, either. Just want something that grows quickly, and is a healthy critter on the whole. Breeding easily and no constant fussing over them.

I have raised satins for years and I find them to be very nice rabbits. They are plenty big for meat and fur. They have great fur and often very good dispositions. I am also a big fan of american sables.

I have a Chocolate Satin doe Donna, who is my pride and joy. She is close to 10 lbs. She is very sweet and loves to have her nose rubbed but she does not like to be out of her cage. She was a great mom from the very first time and always raised great litters of about 10. Right now she has 9 and they are all good sized with not runts. I would fill my rabbitry with her daughters.

Maybe she is the exception of Satins, but I would not hesitate to give another Satin a chance.

Kat

Thanks everybody. I did have a few Satins, white and black, but I can't remember how they dressed out (This was the 1970s, way back in the day). I have read that they have sweeter dispositions than NZs and also that Californians also do. I am thinking of getting a Cal buck, a Satin Buck, and maybe five does. That would give me some options for pure and crossbreeding.

A lot depends on finding a reliable breeder who is not too far away. I e-mailed the UMass 4-H education person about clubs, as I would like to support young breeders if possible.

Another question. Back then I sent my skins to a place in Pennsylvania for tanning. Does anyone do that anymore?

I should have added that I don't have a Satin buck so all my fryers were crossbred. I have bred her to my NZ, FA and Rex and got nice large fryers each time.

I am trying to tan my on pelts, but have only managed to do one batch so far.

Kat

I have a pair of Siamese satins, and it's about time to see if they want a "date". The seem to be a decent size and the buck is very friendly, the doe a bit more stand-offish. I just love the siamese color and the fur is so soft.

I do plan on crossing the doe with my broken black Rex buck. Have no idea what I'll get but it should be interesting.

Cathy

Anntann":11gp50uv said:
I've been looking at adding Satins to the meat pen. They're gorgeous and meaty. Not as BIG as the NWZ, but apparently make a really good cross. There's no reason you have to have a 5lb fryer all the time, either. Just want something that grows quickly, and is a healthy critter on the whole. Breeding easily and no constant fussing over them.

I have to ask ...

is there a breed you haven't been thinking about adding to the household? ;)

<ducking>

Brody":1rw0nxf8 said:
Anntann":1rw0nxf8 said:

I have to ask ...

is there a breed you haven't been thinking about adding to the household? ;)

<ducking>
YES! but only because I haven't heard about all of them :lol:

I AM staying clear of the rabbits that are dwarf type. I have no real use for them. I do NOT want to get into the pet trade, and if I do show something, I'd probably work with the harlequin....the color technicalities intrigues me.

I have also been wondering about the Satin Breed. Not sure if I really want to add to many more adults to what we have since I think we have enough right now but I had seen some Really nice looking Red Satins at a swap meet Dh & I went to & was impressed.
We just breed for meat also so I would not have a problem crossing a Satin Doe with my buck I have now.

Latest posts

Back