Satin critique?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepperoni

Reaction score
I acquired this satin doe and I'm looking for other people's thoughts on her. I am on the fence about what I want to do with her. since I don't know what people look for in satins I figured I'd ask here. If you guys think it's worth it to take her to a couple of shows I'll do that, but if she has obvious problems she can just hang out as a pet, maybe a meat breeder.

1zl86br.jpg

vdiseh.jpg

Zinnia":33ezqiu1 said:
I am soooo not a pro at this, but I want a stab at it.... I think she's narrow in the shoulders, but great everywhere else.

That was my first thought at well although, I'm definitely not a pro either.

Can't wait to see what some of the more experienced members have to say.

You have her a bit overposed, which is making her look undercut in the rear.

She also appears squared off in the rear and from the top she appears to be pinched in the hindquarters. Not the same "pinched" as you get from cow hocks- her feet look straight- but they are not as wide apart as they could be.

To check that, lightly run your thumb and forefinger along each side of her loin and down to her tail. If they narrow to a "V" as you approach the tail, she is pinched.

She has a nice deep loin, but is hollow over the hips. She needs more fullness there.

She has nice sheen, and the density of her coat looks good.

Overall, she looks like a pretty nice rabbit. I would take her to a show and see how she does. The less common colors don't usually have as nice of type as the most popular varieties, so I doubt she will take BOB, but she might get a variety Leg.

Thanks, MSD! Very informative. She has another 2 weeks on quarantine and then I'll have several opportunities to show her in Sept. My daughter is sure smitten with her because she looks just like grandma's cat. LOL.

8xkeo0.jpg

Although I am not up to speed on Satins, I think you have a very severe problem on your hands. This doe is not worthy of staying in your rabbitry. I suggest you get rid of her immediately. Since I am a very giving person, I will agree to to give her a home. Let me know if you need directions to Virginia! :D

She looks like a winner to me. Congrats!

Pepperoni":2w5ta195 said:
Thanks, MSD! Very informative. She has another 2 weeks on quarantine and then I'll have several opportunities to show her in Sept.

Lol- I'm no expert, but that's what I see. Let me know how my comments compare to that of the judges. :popcorn:

Pepperoni":2w5ta195 said:
My daughter is sure smitten with her because she looks just like grandma's cat. LOL.

It is a pretty variety, isn't it? I like her- she is not too dark.

My personal preference is for the really light colored ones (not that I have that variety, mind you), and you will find that everyone has their preferences for depth of color in them... including the judges. ;)

I think she does look a little pinched in the hindquarters.
When you run your hand down her back from front to rear,
do your fingers hang up on the hip bones?
If not, I would take her to a Show, On any given day any Rabbit has as good of a chance
of winning as any other on the table. I believe it's worth taking a chance!
And don't take only one Judges opinion as gospel.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Back