sap is flowing!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Our first harvest of any year is maple sap/syrup so when the sap starts flowing it is a reminder that the slow time is almost over and a promise that spring is coming. Zach set taps Saturday (we still do this the 'old' way with buckets instead of hosing) and through the day the temp rose to 50F. Flowed again yesterday and this morning he started our first boil at first light. Not so warm today but the sun is shining.
Now just have to keep an eye on the fodder as the temps rise so we can catch any mould before it gets to the rabbits. Breeding our first doe of the season this week, then breeding a doe every 2 weeks for a while.
Love the seasons and especially the cusp time between one and the next.

That's great! Enjoy this years harvest, and I hope spring comes quickly! We just had our family from upstate NY visit here in TX, and they welcomed a little sunshine and warm weather but were ready to get back home. We have already started our spring litters here, and our goal is to get what we need before our big summer break, when the heat hits. Best of luck with all your spring projects and the upcoming litters!

I'd have answered this post sooner but I had my Jenny-Cat :catmoon: on my lap and she wouldn't let me use the keyboard. :lol:

Wishing you a bountiful sweet harvest, Rainey! We, unfortunately, don't have any sugar maples on our land, but other signs of spring are everywhere.

Snow is melting fast, and the cottontails are hanging out in our lilac hedge grazing and looking fat and sassy for this early in the season. The crows are cawing joyously in the top of the old poplar tree, the weeping willow is turning golden, and the silver maple buds are swelling.

I time spring's progress by the clump of snowdrops that come up in our garden bed. The earliest I've seen them is March 16 and that was in 2002. I remember precisely because the day was lovely and mild, but that night there was a wind storm that took off half our shingles. I think this year the snowdrops might be even earlier, but I hope we don't get the wind storm along with it.

I keep having to correct things I type because a "malawolf" butt lands on my keyboard or hands if I don't have my laptop on a desk. :lol: She's up to 36lbs a few weeks ago and is starting to beat the husky in wrestling. That and eating $100 game cds are her main entertainment for the day.

It's been 60s and even 70F here. Some idiots tried to go ice fishing a couple weeks back. Luckily some people nearby had a rope and they were on a still part of the lake. I'm not sure the year ever got cold enough to step on the ice. I only let the dogs in harness with ropes walk a little ways out on a smaller lake while we stood on the boat ramp but last weekend they were playing in the mud and thawed water along shore. Never did get a snow that stuck all year. It might be a dry year but who knows. Sometimes it just dumps on us as spring gets here and causes massive flooding despite little snow melt to deal with. Being flat if it floods here it covers a lot. We just don't have mud slides and minimal flash flooding to deal with cause there's no slope for anything to slide down.

Latest posts

Back