Register

San Juan vs TN Redback

Discussion of specific breeds, breed standards and selection criteria for purebreds.
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,792.00

San Juan vs TN Redback

Post Number:#1  Unread postby SableSteel » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:52 am

Have a couple questions about these breeds.

1. I've heard its illegal to raise San Juan rabbits in KY and PA. Is that true, and are there other states where you cant raise them?
2. Are there any laws regulating Tennessee Redback rabbits?
3. What are the differences between these breeds? Only things I've found is that the San Juans tend to be hardier and survive better in the wild.
4. Does anybody know the history of TN Redback rabbits?

Thank you.
I have shown: bruns, hares, petites, dutch, spots, Flemish, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Hollands, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, dwarfs, NZW, polish, standard chins, tan, vlops; American & coronet cavies
CZECH FROSTIES ARE NOT CYLINDRICAL THEY ARE JUST COMPACTS WITH A FLAT TOPLINE & EUROPEAN POSE
thesodi.com - the chicken game

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 20,627.00

Re: San Juan vs TN Redback

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Marinea » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:30 am

I looked up Kentucky law and what do you know...San Juan rabbits are illegal. The Dept of Wildlife lists them separately from domesticated European rabbits. It likely has to do with their use as hunting dog trainers. Maybe what they are calling San Juan are some kind of wild rabbit mix. I am not sure.

I do know that around here, the Redbacks are popular for hunting dog training. I don't think they are recognized by ARBA as a breed, so again, it might be a mix that has gotten a name.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 13,525.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby alforddm » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:35 am

I found this bit

San Juan rabbits are found on San Juan Island (US), the offspring of wild European rabbits. They are wild-agouti colored and weigh 3 - 5.5 lb (1.36 - 2.5 kg).

I wonder if their being illegal has more to do with hunters releasing them into the wild to hunt and/or training rabbits escaping? I could see this being a problem as most people probably wouldn't understand that they are not a native species and the problems they could cause.

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,853.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:29 am

alforddm wrote:I found this bit

San Juan rabbits are found on San Juan Island (US), the offspring of wild European rabbits. They are wild-agouti colored and weigh 3 - 5.5 lb (1.36 - 2.5 kg).

I wonder if their being illegal has more to do with hunters releasing them into the wild to hunt and/or training rabbits escaping? I could see this being a problem as most people probably wouldn't understand that they are not a native species and the problems they could cause.

I was thinking along the same lines. The raising of the rabbits isn't necessarily the issue, it's the possibility of them getting into the wild - either accidentally or intentionally.
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,271.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:08 am

I assumed San Juan was just a mutt breed that was conditioned to eat grasses and greens.

I learn something new every day.
Also, how will they know that you are raising San Juan vs a meat mutt with similar colouring?

I've got 6 with this colouring from a Red NZ doe X Am Chin buck....

Em and Bunny.jpg
Em and Bunny.jpg (43.13 KiB) Viewed 500 times
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,792.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby SableSteel » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:46 pm

San Juans are smaller than NZ mixes, have a different temperament, and have less red tinge to their fur than some.
The ones that escape the hunting dogs can do damage to the environment, so san juans are illegal... but if the tn redbacks have the same purpose then...?
I have shown: bruns, hares, petites, dutch, spots, Flemish, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Hollands, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, dwarfs, NZW, polish, standard chins, tan, vlops; American & coronet cavies
CZECH FROSTIES ARE NOT CYLINDRICAL THEY ARE JUST COMPACTS WITH A FLAT TOPLINE & EUROPEAN POSE
thesodi.com - the chicken game