Sallander

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJCRabbitry

Reaction score
Ok, I have done research to no avail. Literally.
Last year at PASRBA I found what I had thought I would never find. I found a Sallander Holland Lop. ( At least that is what I was told ) She was being sent to the meat man, because due to her breeder being a butt-munch, she had bad teeth, as did her brother. So, long story short, the $200 rabbit that I was told I would never find, came home with my husband and I for FREE, because she was only going to the meat man. What's one more to feed, right? :x

Anyways, Stella acted as our spokes bun. She gave us the courage to speak out about bad breeders, and to explain to others while something like this poor girl would never be attempted here in our rabbitry. (Her breeder literally bred for type, to show, rather than taking the interests of health and tempermant into mind. Then, when something bad happened, she didn't want to deal with a "special needs" animal, and quickly passed it off to be killed for meat. Keep in mind, I am NOT against meat rabbits, but this was wrong.) Moving on...
Stella was "special needs" in the sense that she needed her teeth clipped every so often. We didn't mind, and being that her breeder DID keep checking and clipping her teeth down, she was very gentle, and very much used to it. She would gladly open her mouth, and let us do what we had to do. This was a normal thing for her, and she did very well with it. We also made sure that she had plenty to chew on, with different textures and what not. ( She LOVED pumice stones!) and this of course helped with keeping her teeth filed down to a manageable length.

All that being said, Stella was a girl I had hoped and prayed that I would always have. She was my pride and joy, and everyone at our local pet events LOVED her. She loved the attention. She loved being held, especially like a baby. I miss her.
Stella unfortunately passed away a few months back, to what we can only assume was a complication from her malocclusion. Meaning, from what we have read, and researched, she had a tumor somewhere in her sinus cavity, and it made her pass away, calmly, in her sleep. There was nothing we could have done to save her.
We had her 8 months. That's 8 months she wouldn't have had if I hadn't gone bawling my eyes out to my husband that day I found her at PASRBA. She was treated like a queen here, and as I said above, I miss her.
With all that being said, I want to say this.

Sallander is something I have searched far and wide for. I finally had a boy born here, we named Ecto, after my obsession with Ghostbusters. (The OLD one, the original. Not the new one, DON'T get me started. :evil: )
He was born the typical white baby. As he developed, at around 2 weeks old, he started to get his points. I noticed them in a picture Jeremy had sent me one night, while I was inside cleaning up after dinner. He was outside checking to make sure everyone was fed and watered.
He has the "funky" eyes, and the gorgeous coat, that keeps getting better as he gets older. ( When I figure out how to, I will post pictures from my phone...)

My "question" is, I want to see others!
He is what is considerd a chocolate sable point, from what I have gathered. But, there isn't much info on this topic, anywhere, at all.
Please feel free to comment, and let me see your Sallander babies!
I think there's a blue variety too?? I have one that we purchased, but I am not sure what the proper color term for him would be.
Please and thanks!!
:pancake:

Sixgun and I actually just 'sealed' a trade today. I will be trading her my Sable agouti buck for a blue sallander (called pearl in Angora) buck in the beginning of November. I did have a sallander buck way back. Let me see if I can find the pics. :)

They are beautiful rabbits.

__________ Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:04 pm __________

This was my boy Phyto. I ended up selling him to a lady on NM as a wooler since his coat was overly soft. Blue Sallander

Attachments

• IMG_3667.JPG
    IMG_3667.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 1,185
PSFAngoras":1rd96eat said:
Sixgun and I actually just 'sealed' a trade today. I will be trading her my Sable agouti buck for a blue sallander (called pearl in Angora) buck in the beginning of November.

Beginning of November, you say? Guess when I'm headed to south Arizona... :mrgreen:

RabbitTalk Party at SixGun's place!! :band: :punk: :pinkbunny: :pinkbunny: :pillowfight:

:)

I'd love to meet more RT'rs, by I'm not going all the way to AZ. :(

She's meeting me half way on her way through NM for another appointment. However, if you find yourself in CO for any length of time on your trip give me a shout!

I get a lot of crap from breeders because we raise pets, along with our pedigreed buns. I figure, if I'm the one paying to feed them, what's it matter to anyone else who I raise?
RT people seem to be a LOT nicer than Facebook people, in general. I have yet to make a friend through RT, but they are usually a lot nicer. :x <br /><br /> __________ Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:20 am __________ <br /><br /> This is Ecto

Attachments

• ecto.jpg
    ecto.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,155

Latest posts

Back