Safe and Unsafe Plants for Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Star Rabbitry

Reaction score
Safe Plants

Alfalfa - above ground parts can be used

Agrimony - used for conjunctivitis

American Sycamore - leaves, bark and twigs can be used

Apple - leaves, branches and fruit can be used

Basil - above ground parts can be used

Birch - used for pain relief, anti-inflammatory and diuretic

Blackberry - above ground parts can be used - used for pregnant does, summer cooling, stimulate appetite and diarrhea

Black Oil Sunflower Seeds– used to condition coats

Blueberry - leaves can be used

Borage - above ground parts can be used - used as a Laxative, increases milk flow in nursing does, helps fevers and reduce stress

Cat-tail - leaf stalks can be used

Carrot - roots and tops can be used

Chamomile - used for pain relief, calms nervous rabbits, can be used as an eye wash for weepy eye

Chickweed - above ground parts can be used - used as an anti-inflammatory, progresses the healing of cuts

Chicory, wild - Above ground parts can be used

Clover, red - above ground parts can be used

Clover, white - above ground parts can be used

Comfrey, common - leaves can be used, best dried - promotes healing, bone formation, helps ill bunnies, used for stressed and weak bunnies, can be used an a respiratory expectorant

Dandelion - above ground parts can be used - Blood purifying, used for respiratory ailments, anti-inflammatory, bladder infections, diarrhea, increases milk flow in nursing does

Echinacea - can be used as an immune system stimulant and broad spectrum antibiotic

Elder Flower - can be used an a respiratory expectorant, helps fevers

Eucalyptus - can be used dried and powdered to repel fleas

Eyebright – can be used to help weepy eye

Fennel – can be used to help with bloating and gas, increases milk flow in nursing does

Garlic - can be used as an antiseptic and antibiotic, can be used to help with bloating and gas, can be used as a respiratory expectorant

Ginger – can be used to increase fertility in bucks

Goat’s Rue – increases milk flow in nursing does

Goldenrod - leaves can be used - can be used as an anti-inflammatory

Grape - leaves and vines can be used

Green Amaranth - above ground parts can be used

Hackberry - branches can be used

Kava Kava - can be used to calm nervous rabbits

Lamb’s Quarters - above ground parts can be used

Lavender - can be used to calm nervous rabbits and can be used to induce labor

Lemon Balm - above ground parts can be used - is an anti-bacterial, antiviral, helps with bloating and gas, diarrhea and reduces stress

Licorice - can be used to help gastric inflammation and coughs.

Linseed – can be used an a laxative

Maple, silver - leaves and branches can be used

Marigold - helps with bruises, contusion and strains, can be used to help slow healing wounds, ulcers, skin diseases, digestive problems and gall bladder complaints

Marjoram- helps with coughs, inflammation of mouth and throat, can be used to help digestive problems, uterine discomfort, can be used to calm nervous rabbits

Meadowsweet – helps with weepy eye

Milk Thistle - helps take ammonia from the blood and protects both the liver and the kidneys, increases milk flow in nursing does

Mint - above ground parts can be used - decrease milk flow in nursing does, helps with mastitis

Mother Wart – helps with weepy eye

Nasturtium - can be used as a strong antiseptic

Nettles – above ground parts can be used - increases milk flow in nursing does

Oak - can be used for eczema, diarrhea, hemorrhoid, pro lapse, digestive problems and bleeding of mouth and gums

Oats - can be used to help digestive problems, diarrhea, kidney and bladder disorders and can be used to condition coats

Oregon Grape Root - can be used as an anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial

Parsley - enriches the blood, can be used to help urinary problems - roots are used for constipation and obstruction of the intestines, inflammation of bladder & kidneys, digestive disorders, can be used to increase fertility in bucks and productivity in does

Pear - leaves, branches, fruit and seeds can be used

Peppermint - above ground parts can be used

Plantain - above ground parts can be used - is antimicrobial and antispasmodic, can be used to progress the healing of cuts,

Plum - shoots can be used

Purple Coneflower- can be used to help with abscesses and slow healing wounds

Purslane - above ground parts can be used

Raspberry - above ground parts can be used - can be used for the prevention and treatment retained afterbirth, improves condition during pregnancy and can be used to increase fertility in bucks

clover – above ground parts can be used - helps with weepy eye

Redroot Pigweed - above ground parts can be used

Rosemary - above ground parts can be used - helps with weakness and exhaustion and calms nervous rabbits

Round Leafed Mallow - above ground parts can be used

Sage – above ground parts can be used - can be used dried and powdered to repel fleas, can be used to decrease milk flow in does

Sassafras - can be used dried and powdered to sprinkled repel fleas .

Shepherd’s Purse - above ground parts can be used

St. John Wart- helps with stress and nerves but long term dosage is needed

Smooth Leaf Elm– can be used to help slow healing wounds

Sorrel - can be used to cool and calm nervous rabbits

Sow Thistle - above ground parts can be used

Squash - sprouts can be used

Strawberry - above ground parts can be used - can be used as an antiseptic and helps cool rabbits, leaves are rich in iron and are supposed to help prevent miscarriage can be used to help inflamed areas, rashes and sore eyes.

Sunflower - above ground parts can be used

Sweet Potato - roots can be used

Thyme - above ground parts can be used - can be used to help with diarrhea

Walnut - leaves can be used – can be used to help weepy eye

Willow - leaves and branches can be used - has an Aspirin like affect and helps with pain and intestinal inflammation

Yarrow - above ground parts can be used - helps to heal cuts

Unsafe Plants

Almond

Aloe Vera

Amaryllis

Andromeda

Angel's Trumpet

Apricot

Arrowgrass

Asparagus Fern

Autumn Crocus

Avacado

Azalea

Begonia

Belladonna

Bird of Paradise

Black Walnut

Bloodroot

Bluebonnet

Buttercup

Black Locust

Bloodroot

Bleeding Heart

Bottle Brush

Boxwood

Bracken fern

Buckeye

Buckthorn

Bull Nettle

Buttercup

Butterfly Weed

Caladium

Calendula

Calico Bush

Calla Lilly

Carnation

Carolina Jessamine

Castor Bean

Cherry

Chrysanthemum

Clematis

Cone Flower

Coral plant

Corn Plant

Crocus

Crown of Thorns

Daffodil

Daisy

Daphne

Day Lily

Dogbane

Easter Lilly

Eggplant

Elderberry

Elephant Ear

Foxglove

Geranium

Gladiola

Glory Lilly

Holly

Horse Chestnut

Hyacinth

Hydrangea

Indigo

Iris

Ivy,

Jack-in-the-Pulpit

Juniper

Lace Fern

Lantana

Larkspur

Laurel

Lily of the Valley

Lima Bean

Lupine

Macadamia Nut

Mandrake

Marijuana

Marigold

Mesquite

Mexican Breadfruit

Milk Bush

Milkweed

Mistletoe

Monkshood

Moonflower

Morning Glory

Mushrooms

Mustard

Narcissus

Nightshade

Nutmeg

Oak

Oleander

Parsnip

Peach

Peony

Periwinkle

Peyote

Poinsettia

Poison Hemlock

Poison Ivy

Poison Oak

Poison sumac

Pokeweed

Poppy

Potato

Primrose

Primula

Queen Anne’s Lace

Rhododendron

Rhubarb

Skunk Cabbage

Sanpdragon

Stinkweed

Sweet Pea

Tansy

Thornapple

Tiger Lily

Tobacco

Tomato

Tulip

Umbrella Plant

Venus Flytrap

Violet

Walnuts

Wild Carrots

Wild Cucumber

Wild Parsnip

Wild Peas

Wisteria

Yew

Do you have a source for this info? Or is this what you've put together over the years? or....?

I should mention that wild rabbits, and my guys, eat mustard greens...just sayin'. And there was quite a discussion last fall about feeding corn stalks and leaves and apparently quite a few people do so.

It's clear you have done a lot of research, Emily. :)

Your list worries me a bit, however. You have food plants mixed in with some that strike me as being for medicinal use only and that may be confusing to some people. I'd like to see more information on how to use the medicinals too - whether fed fresh, dried, used as an infusion or decoction etc. and also dosages. Citing your major sources is always a good idea too.

Your unsafe list will alert people to avoid certain plants, but I see at least one on there that I know can be fed safely... if we are talking about the same plant. Since you have given only common names, it is hard to be certain.

I don't have time this morning, unfortunately, to get into specifics, but I suggest taking this list as a "work in progress" and proceeding carefully until the discrepancies are resolved and the botanical names added. Perhaps then you will allow me to incorporate some of your material into the Safe Plants sticky.

Point well taken!
I have been doing a lot of research on safe and unsafe plants over the last week and this is just a list of the more common plants that I have found so far. I am in no way trying to give veterinary advice, this is just something that I find very interesting.
I'm not sure about the dosages and how these plants are used. I've only fed a few of these to my rabbits.
What plant is it on the unsafe list that is safe?
You are welcome to incorporate what I have found so far into the Safe Plants Sticky.
Here’s what I have for the safe plants list so far. Any suggestions?

Alfalfa (Medicago sativa) above ground parts can be used

American Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis) leaves, bark and twigs can be used

Apple (Malus domestica) leaves, branches and fruit can be used

Basil (Ocimum basilicum) above ground parts can be used

Birch - used for pain relief, anti-inflammatory and diuretic

Blackberry (Rubus villous) above ground parts can be used - used for pregnant does, summer cooling, stimulate appetite and diarrhea

Black Oil Sunflower Seeds– used to condition coats

Blueberry - leaves can be used

Borage (Borago officinalis) above ground parts can be used - used as a Laxative, increases milk flow in nursing does, helps fevers and reduce stress

Cat-tail (Typha latifolia) leaf stalks can be used

Caraway (Carum carvi)

Carrot (Daucus carota) roots and tops can be used

Chamomile (Chamomilla recutita) used for pain relief, calms nervous rabbits, can be used as an eye wash for weepy eye

Chervil (Anthriscus cerefolium)

Chickweed (Stellaria media) above ground parts can be used - used as an anti-inflammatory, progresses the healing of cuts

Chicory, wild (Cichorium intybus) Above ground parts can be used

Cilantro or Coriander (Coriandrum sativum)

Clover, red (Trifolium pratense) above ground parts can be used

Clover, white (Trifolium repens) above ground parts can be used

Comfrey, common (Symphytum officinale) leaves can be used, best dried - promotes healing, bone formation, helps ill bunnies, used for stressed and weak bunnies, can be used an a respiratory expectorant

Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) above ground parts can be used - Blood purifying, used for respiratory ailments, anti-inflammatory, bladder infections, diarrhea, increases milk flow in nursing does

Dill (Anethum graveolens)

Echinacea - can be used as an immune system stimulant and broad spectrum antibiotic

Elder Flower - can be used an a respiratory expectorant, helps fevers

Eucalyptus - can be used dried and powdered to repel fleas

Eyebright – can be used to help weepy eye

Fennel – can be used to help with bloating and gas, increases milk flow in nursing does

Garlic - can be used as an antiseptic and antibiotic, can be used to help with bloating and gas, can be used as a respiratory expectorant

Ginger – can be used to increase fertility in bucks

Goat’s Rue – increases milk flow in nursing does

Goldenrod (Solidago Canadensis) leaves can be used - can be used as an anti-inflammatory

Grape (Vitus labrusca) leaves and vines can be used

Green Amaranth (Amaranthus hybridus) above ground parts can be used

Hackberry - branches can be used

Kava Kava - can be used to calm nervous rabbits

Lady’s Smock (Cardamine pratensis)

Lamb’s Quarters (Chenopodium album) above ground parts can be used

Lavender (Lavandula officinalis) can be used to calm nervous rabbits and can be used to induce labor

Lemon Balm (Melissa officinal) above ground parts can be used - is an anti-bacterial, antiviral, helps with bloating and gas, diarrhea and reduces stress

Licorice - can be used to help gastric inflammation and coughs.

Linseed – can be used an a laxative

Lovage (Levisticum officinale)

Maple, Silver (Acer saccharinum) leaves and branches can be used

Maple, Sugar (Acer saccharin) leaves and branches can be used

Marigold - helps with bruises, contusion and strains, can be used to help slow healing wounds, ulcers, skin diseases, digestive problems and gall bladder complaints

Marjoram- helps with coughs, inflammation of mouth and throat, can be used to help digestive problems, uterine discomfort, can be used to calm nervous rabbits

Meadowsweet – helps with weepy eye

Milk Thistle - helps take ammonia from the blood and protects both the liver and the kidneys, increases milk flow in nursing does

Mint (Mentha piperita) above ground parts can be used - decrease milk flow in nursing does, helps with mastitis

Mother Wart – helps with weepy eye

Mustard Greens (Sinapis Alba)

Nasturtium - can be used as a strong antiseptic

Nettle (Urtica dioica) only use dried

Nettle, Stinging (Urtica dioica) above ground parts can be used - increases milk flow in nursing does

Oak - can be used for eczema, diarrhea, hemorrhoid, pro lapse, digestive problems and bleeding of mouth and gums

Oats - can be used to help digestive problems, diarrhea, kidney and bladder disorders and can be used to condition coats

Oregano (Origanum vulgare)

Oregon Grape Root - can be used as an anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial

Parsley (Petroselinum crispum) enriches the blood, can be used to help urinary problems - roots are used for constipation and obstruction of the intestines, inflammation of bladder & kidneys, digestive disorders, can be used to increase fertility in bucks and productivity in does

Pear (Pyrus communis) leaves, branches, fruit and seeds can be used

Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) above ground parts can be used

Plantain (Plantago major) above ground parts can be used - is antimicrobial and antispasmodic, can be used to progress the healing of cuts,

Plum - shoots can be used

Purple Coneflower- can be used to help with abscesses and slow healing wounds

Purslane (Portulaca oleracea) above ground parts can be used

Raspberry (Rubus serious) above ground parts can be used - can be used for the prevention and treatment retained afterbirth, improves condition during pregnancy and can be used to increase fertility in bucks

Redroot Pigweed (Amaranthus retroflexus) above ground parts can be used

Rosemary ((Rosmarinus officinalis) above ground parts can be used - helps with weakness and exhaustion and calms nervous rabbits

Round Leafed Mallow (Malva rotundifolia) above ground parts can be used

Sage (Salvia officinalis) above ground parts can be used - can be used dried and powdered to repel fleas, can be used to decrease milk flow in does

Salad Burnet (Sanguisorba minor)

Sassafras - can be used dried and powdered to sprinkled repel fleas .

Shepherd’s Purse (Capsella bursta-pastoris) above ground parts can be used

St. Johns Wart- helps with stress and nerves but long term dosage is needed

Smooth Leaf Elm– can be used to help slow healing wounds

Sorrel - can be used to cool and calm nervous rabbits

Sow Thistle, Annual (Sonchus asper) above ground parts can be used

Sow Thistle, Perennial (Sonchus asper) above ground parts can be used

Squash - sprouts can be used

Strawberry (Fragaria vesca) above ground parts can be used - can be used as an antiseptic and helps cool rabbits, leaves are rich in iron and are supposed to help prevent miscarriage can be used to help inflamed areas, rashes and sore eyes.

Sunflower (Helianthus annuus) above ground parts can be used

Sweet Potato (Ipomoea batatas) roots can be used - feed only in small amounts

Tarragon (Artemisia dracunculoides)

Thyme (Thymus vulgaris) above ground parts can be used - can be used to help with diarrhea

Walnut - leaves can be used – can be used to help weepy eye

Willow (Salix nigra) leaves and branches can be used - has an Aspirin like affect and helps with pain and intestinal inflammation

Yarrow (Achillea mille folium) above ground parts can be used - helps to heal cuts

What plant is it on the unsafe list that is safe?

The one I was thinking of was wild carrot aka Queen Anne's Lace. It is also Daucus carota... essentially the same plant as domestic carrot, Daucus carota var sativa which simply means it is the variation that people eat. It was developed from the wild variety, however.

It took my a long time to assure myself that Queen Anne's Lace was safe for rabbits. It wasn't until I checked into the botanical name and history of the vegetable carrot that I realized they were essentially the same. I don't know why it is on so many toxic lists, unless it is because of the seeds. I have heard that the seed heads are not good for rabbits... but I have also heard that some people have fed them without ill effects.

Your list is shaping up very nicely, Emily... The botanical names are a big help to people. I notice that coneflower is on the toxic list. Here in Ontario (and I expect elsewhere too) coneflower is a common name for Echinacea. We will have to sort out its possible toxicity and decide which list it belongs on... assuming the coneflower on the toxic list is the same plant.

I'm very busy this week, so won't be around the forum much for a few days, but we'll work on this over the next while. I find the plants and their uses fascinating and it sounds as though you do too. :D

Found this at Homesteading Today - Maggie put it together about 3 years ago. Fits in nicely with this thread.

Emily I really like your list, but why do you have oak & coneflower on both the toxic list and the safe list?

Thanks, Farm Girl

The main one I questioned on the unsafe list was Calendula. I know it's edible for humans, chickens etc. or at least the flowers are. Was there anything about the flowers being safe and not the foliage?

Thanks. These lists are very helpful.

Shannon

Latest posts

Back