Sadness strikes hard

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Not needing help, just wanting to see if my thinking is correct.

My Lily was found dead this morning from a prolapsed uterus that I'm pretty sure tore since there was SO much blood everywhere, (imagine a scene from a horror show).

She kindled three days ago. One normal, two peanuts. Small litter for her but she was getting on four years now and liked to be bred and raising kits. She was always a busy, in your face, protective doe.

yesterday morning I discovered two additional kits.. one long and looked dead a spell, the other a big kit.. as big as the one already in the box. healthy as can be with a full belly. Lily was acting perfectly normal.

Checked on her LATE last night (sometime between 1130-1230) as I have a young doe doing the false nesting thing... but just in case the neighbour kids pulled a fast one thought I should keep an eye on her. All bunnies seemed fine.

Fast forward to seven hours later...

I hate, just absolutely hate in a horrified way, of the amount of suffering she must have gone through. Just a nasty way to die.

Wondering if my thinking is correct... that the delayed arrival of kits four and five contributed to the problem.

What think you?

I know there's really no preventing it. I just wish I could have known so I could have culled her quickly.

Im so sorry, poor Lily.

Id think maybe one caused the other and snowballed to what you found. By that I mean, she was older, maybe she ripped so she delayed the other's birth a bit wich made things worse over time. Nothing you can do rly.

At least she gave her life for the babies she liked to raise. Do you have a foster mom for em?

thanks.

yes, I have a foster (one of her daughters that i kept back).

good to hear that my thinking isn't far off. :)

Latest posts

Back