Sad everything went wrong

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harelady

Reaction score
I have been anxiously waiting for a litter of Rufus Belgian Hares. The doe is my only Rufus and I was very excited to have some kits to show this fall. But things went horribly wrong. I checked on her yesterday morning and she was giving birth. I left her alone and came back 30 minutes later to check on her. She was done kindling and out of the box. So I checked on the babies and found 6 dead and three small babies alive. I put all the live babies together and took the dead out. I came back after work to check on them and the three were scattered and chilled. Took them inside to warm up. Two died a hour later and the last one is still alive but will not nurse even if I hold the doe. So it will probably not live much longer. Sigh this is so sad. The only bright side is my doe is fine so I can rebreed her this weekend.

One way to keep them warm is to place them in a woolen sock. That way they cannot craw apart.

Well the one kit is still hanging on. It decided to start eating yesterday and got a good meal this morning. The doe will not feed the kit but if I hold her the kit can get a meal. A member of my local rabbit club has a couple of very young litters and is willing to foster the kit for me. So the kit has a chance though a small one since its a bit weak from being chilled a couple of times.

Back