Runts---what do you do?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
I just put down Curly's runt. After a two days, it was emaciated, weak and slow to move. The four siblings are over twice the size, full and sassy. I pulled Curly and the runt and let it try to nurse. It moved around, Curly nuzzled it, but it failed to even open its mouth or try to nurse. I have tried this twice prior---none survived.

Not especially pleasant, I decided it better to euthanize than let it suffer and dwindle. A runt that is eating, I would let be; but not one that cannot.

Thoughts?

In this case, I think you absolutely did the right thing.

It's hard when I see a runt suffering and fading away. I give it 24 hours, it is one instance where I don't do the "let nature run its course" thing.

Sometimes its not a true runt, it has either just gotten away from the main group or has somehow got stuck under the main group and has missed a feeding. So I just put it in the front of the group where it can keep warm and also have dibs on the next feeding. By next feeding I'll know if it is a true runt or not and if it is, I'll put it down instead of letting in starve to death in 2 - 3 days. I've tried to save them by fostering them, handfeeding them, trying to get them to feed on mama's tummy and all I've done was extend its life and suffering for a couple of days at best.

Marian

most of the time I just let nature take it's course as I find that often they'll surprise me, over the past three years I've put down one I think? As it just wasn't coming along at all.

I will often foster them over to a smaller litter though.

It's always a tough call. I've been lucky in that most of the runts we have had have been feisty and had a strong will to live. They don't always make it and the ones that do don't always catch up to their siblings in size, but as long as I feel they have a chance I will let them be. In a case where the runt was clearly unable to feed, euthanasia is likely the kindest choice.

I'm so sorry, CH. I know that had to have been hard. It sounds as though it was for the best in this case, though.

Thanks everyone---it wasn't and isn't the easiest choice to make. I cannot handfeed a kit and its inablility to feed even when Curly let it was a bad sign to me. I have had others than did the same thing (2 diff kits and does) none made it.

I had runts in two other litters that were runts--but ate! Both survived and frankly, I couldn't really tell who was who 6 weeks later. I guess, its part of herd management to decide what efforts to take and when its enough.

Just wanted to share to gauge both opinion and practice from others.

How would you put down a runt? I"m not going to guess but I would think a pellet gun would be overkill. Just curious because, like Maggie, most runts I've had were feisty but just didn't make it. I"ve even tried hand feeding some but without success. I"m usually one to let nature take it's course but I understand the point of not letting it starve to death over a couple of days. It's a tough call because they can bounce back sometimes.

Probably the easiest way is to take an airtight container (plastic food container or large jar) and put some starter fluid (basically ether) on a paper towel and put both it and the kit inside and close it up tight. The ether will cause the kit to lose consciousness quickly and then will kill it.

Some people use dry ice in much the same way, but who keeps it on hand?

Others just bop them with a hammer. I had to do that once with a slightly older kit that was clearly suffering and it was instantaneous, but not very easy for me emotionally. One thing I did to make sure one blow would do it was to put the kit on a hard surface and then hit it. I hope I never have to do that again though.

Cervical dislocation is also an option, but only if you are confident that you can do it properly.

grab kit in hand. have a VERY hard surface. have the bottom 2/3 of kit in your hand and very swiftly with follow through, whack the back of the head against the hard surface. Table ends work well, or the side of a rack of cages.

Latest posts

Back