root crops as part of no pellet diet

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Oriana Spiderowl

I just went to the feed store and purchased a trace mineral salt block for general livestock. It was about the size of a brick and similar in colour - a dull, reddish-brown. It only cost about $2-3, but that was over five years ago. I don't know of a specific brand or a type specifically for rabbits (except those little salt spools that cost as much as a whole block.) With rabbits in individual cages, you will want a dish to keep the salt from rusting the wire. I used straight-sided, flat-bottomed ceramic ramekins. from the dollar store. I used a hammer to knock pieces off the block for each cage.

Last winter we fed potatoes (cooked) and carrots and parsnips (raw) to our rabbits along with hay, wheat fodder and oats. This year we also grew and fed turnips--greens and roots--but didn't grow enough to store for winter. Do have the 3 we fed last year stored again.

I'm looking at what to add to the garden for rabbits next year. Have heard sugar beets and mangel beets recommended but I've only ever grown garden beets and don't understand how the other 2 are different, whether the tops can be fed as well as the roots. Also the old book I've found so helpful (from WWII, British) seems very specific about what roots can be fed at what times of year. Does anyone here have experience to know whether or why that is important?
Again.. I don't yet have my animals. I'm just a gardener with fluffy dreams and lots of questions. Hope to learn as much as possible from them that's doing to give those dreams best chance of success. (Thank you all) I have grown sugar beets. They are white not red. We ate the tops. I add roots to tomatoes for some sweetness. Scandinavian countries some time juice sugar beets for a sweet treat. I've done that and added to my wine making. (Cooked) Or it can be cooked down for syrup. Wondering if doing that would make leftover pulp safer to feed in higher quantities? Lower sugar, higher fiber. Zero waste? I grow painted mountain corn for the cornmeal. Higher protein, more tender stalks. Shorter grow season for our northern clime. Hoping it can be added to winter feed?? Do you dry carrot tops to add to hay? Or stalks from herbs that get dried( mint, basil, thyme, balm)?

Latest posts

Back