Rolled Oats

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karebru

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I'm used to rewards (treats) being the way to get a beagle's attention.
My new bunnies love rolled oats, so I've been using them (About a tablespoon, a couple time a day.) for positive reinforcement after handling them, etc. in hopes that they will associate my presence with something good.
I'm sure there's a point where too much is too much. As in, it interfering with their overall diet.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

My nursing does and kits get oats regularly. Just keep an eye on their weight and slack off if they get heavy. Maybe cut down to once a day, and give some greens instead? Dandelions are all around here now, and the buns love 'em.

Marinea":1a20qzk5 said:
My nursing does and kits get oats regularly. Just keep an eye on their weight and slack off if they get heavy. Maybe cut down to once a day, and give some greens instead? Dandelions are all around here now, and the buns love 'em.
I remember dandelions well, from my youth in Illinois. (And Grandma collecting them for wine.) They don't grow wild here but I've see the greens at the produce stand. Thanks!

I use rolled Oats occasionally with my Rabbits.
I learned a long time ago that Oats put on Flesh, not Fat!
Oats and Sweet-feed are often used as a finisher for Show Rabbits.
Black oils are also used to add Sheen or shine to the coat.
Whenever I use any such things, they are used as a top dressing on the feed.
Added to the feed hopper or bowl just a small portion daily or most often
three times per week. Everything in moderation, Moderation is the key!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":3mqeqxdf said:
I use rolled Oats occasionally with my Rabbits.
I learned a long time ago that Oats put on Flesh, not Fat

Are we talking kitchen oats or horse oats? And sweet feed, is horse feed?

Oh, I have used steel cut oats for a transitional food for weenlings but I was told that rolled oats, horse type are good for the grow outs..I haven't been able to get much information about that though. And my does will eat all the kitchen oats. But are not so fond of the horse oats.

Back