Road hurt feet?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ears

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I recently bought a harness for my bunnies (and a leash) and have been letting them hop around my fenced in yard with it.
(I only have two, so I have the time for them. ;) ) Anyway, I was wondering if I could take them for walks on my street? Would the rocky asphalt hurt their feet?? :( It definitely doesn't feel good on MY feet if I walked barefoot on it, or with socks.
images

It sort of looks like the picture, but maybe more like this:

images

What would be the worst that could happen if it did hurt their feet?

Opinions are appreciated! :)

I don't think it would hurt them, mine are on a concrete floor, obviously don't let them walk on hot pavement or gooey tar spots

But

my fear would be that a dog, or even a cat, attacks them.

That wouldn't be any issue for my feet. I used to run barefoot on gravel driveways. Animals have tougher feet than we do. There are a lot of risks though. Toxins on the pavement, things to attempt eating, escape, getting scared enough to break their own backs if they don't escape, and the predators. I've heard of rodents to small dogs taken by hawks within inches of their owners.

Toxins on the pavement, things to attempt eating, escape, getting scared enough to break their own backs if they don't escape, and the predators. I've heard of rodents to small dogs taken by hawks within inches of their owners.

Ya...I probably wouldn't want to take the risk, cause of the toxins.........But they are full grown buns, and I would have them on a leash, so I don't think it would be a problem that they would be taken off by a hawk. The hawks I have around my house are small. They go for the small finches and sparrows. :(
My last litter, I did keep a very close eye on my babies though, whenever I let them play in my yard.

We have a lot of redtails and great horned owls. They'll take things up to 6 lbs and sometimes kill and eat larger stuff on the ground. A leash might keep them from being hauled away but the birds don't know that. A strike from a bird of prey often kills on impact. They hit with such force and long talons that the wounds are usually lethal. That wouldn't be my main concern but it does happen. All the stuff from cars and trash is what I'd worry about. Dogs have gotten sick licking their feet after walks on occasion.

Back