Rex with patchy hair sores on feet and red genitals

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natalia

Reaction score
I just got 4 rabbits Monday one has gunky eye and red lady parts and two have patchy hair I'm not experienced in a lot of rabbit health and am looking for advice

Hi Natalia and welcome to RabbitTalk! :hi:

Can you give us some more details so we can help your out? There are a number of things that might be going on. A bit of background on the conditions the rabbits experienced in their old home would help.

Also, when you say the doe's genitals are red, do you mean she looks like she's ready to breed or do you mean red as inflamed, sore, perhaps with lesions?

At a quick guess, I'd say these rabbits were likely kept in dirty conditions and that their problems are a result of that. But there are a number of other things it could be.

The conditions weren't very clean but I don't know much about them the person I got the from just had them to rehome and didn't know much they are red I'm not sure what they look like when ready to breed I have never bred rabbits before I have pictures but can't get them to upload to the site still trying to figure out how from my phone

Pictures would certainly help.

The redness of the doe's genitals could be normal "ready to breed" redness or it could be urine scald or an indicator of vent disease.

Sore feet on Rex rabbits are pretty common. They do not have as much fur padding there to protect them. Filth from a dirty cage could aggravate this. It would be a good idea to give them a resting board, so they do not have to spend all their time on the wire.

Scabby sores in the fur could be from fur mites. The skin gets itchy, they scratch and make things worse.

Check inside their ears for crusty looking gunk. If that is the case, they probably have ear mites too.

No time to go into treatment just now, but if the problems are due to poor conditions at a previous home, then they should be able to be overcome fairly easily given clean cages and a few simple treatments.

I strongly recommend that you do not breed the rabbits until they are all healthy. It wouldn't be good to stress them further at this time.

I will try to upload the pictures when I get off work I don't plan on breeding them till I know they are healthy (and then probably won't then they are more for pets) the hair loss isn't dry or scabby just patchy some fluffy some almost to the skin the eye gunk worries me too they are in clean cages now with plenty of rest space without being on bars

Okay, I took a look at the pictures and I think I can make some useful suggestions. Other members will likely be on this evening and I hope they will chime in on this too.

The eye gunk looks to me like an irritation that has got infected, rather than something really sinister like Pasteurella (snuffles). I would make a cup of either regular tea or chamomile tea, stir in teaspoon of honey if you have it and -- when warm but not hot -- use the teabag as a compress, dipping it in the cup several times. Do not rub hard as it will make the problem worse. The compress should loosen the gunk and then you should be able to see how bad the infection is. There is a Terramycin eye ointment for animals that is fairly effective, but it is sometimes difficult to find it. You can try eBay if the problem warrants it. You may not need it for this; it depends on how the eye looks in a day or two.

The vent looks very red and I think it is irritated rather than just from breeding readiness. It is hard to be sure from the picture, but it won't harm her to sponge it off with plain warm water, pat it dry and perhaps apply a touch of mineral oil or petroleum jelly to protect the skin. Just a smidge because the may lick it off and while not toxic it isn't the best thing to be ingesting. There might be something better to use, but I can't think of it right now.

The foot pads on the doe look thin but not inflamed. With a resting board she will likely be okay, but do keep an eye on them. Rex are prone to sore feet.

The rabbit with the bare patches in its fur very likely has fur mites -- a common problem that you will not want to ignore, but nothing to get too worried about.

There are medications you can use, but since I am the kind of person who favours simple remedies, I suggest you get some DE (diatomaceous earth) and apply it to the affected area and those surrounding it. The DE must be FOOD GRADE. Try not to inhale it or let the rabbit inhale it (it is dusty) but food grade DE is completely inert and non-toxic. I found some at our local feed store, but you may have to ask around a bit or go online.

They look like nice rabbits and I think that with proper care they should do just fine. Do keep us updated . . . we like to hear how things turn out.

One request. Would you please take a minute to add your location (state, province, or country if not US or Canada) to your profile. It really helps to give you advice that is appropriate to your neck of the woods. So many rabbit questions depend on climate and other regional features. Thanks! :)

Thank a ton ill get some of the tea tonight when i buy groceries and clean her parts, and ive got a nice rest board for her ill check and see if my local vet supply place has the eye stuff tomorrow and i bealive tractor supply has the d e i will ask tomorrow if its food grade
I really appreciate the information

Welcome, Natalia!

Maggie, as always, gave great advice. I would add a couple of thoughts:

I would likely treat all of the buns with the DE to be on the safe side. It won't hurt.

The picture of the doe shows what looks like some long nails. After they settle in, I would take a look and do some trimming.

Having lived in MS in the past, I remember the heat. I have had good experience with resting boards that are simply scrap ceramic tiles I picked up from local building supply stores. They are cool for the buns and easy to keep clean. All of my buns have one.

Lastly, if they were transported home together, I would be ready for babies in a month. I don't know if this applies, but sometimes the simple things get overlooked.

Good luck! You found the best place on the net to talk rabbits. Hope you stick around.

I agree with everything listed above! And good nutrition will likely help tremendously as well. Chances are if they were kept in poor conditions they likely weren't fed as well as they could have been and might have some nutrient deficiencies going on. Do you have any other rabbits? If so, you need to keep the new comers separate just in case they have anything contagious. Keep us posted on how things go!

I plan on Dec treating them all and I'll check out the tiles that's a good idea, also I went and picked them up they were in separate cages at location and I've kept them all separate from each other no other buns but I do have other animals and they are in another in qurentine till they are healthy

Back