rex fur oddities, curly??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
At the auction on Monday I came back with three mini rex looking young rabbits. I am really not sure what is up with them because they have.. 'rex like fur'.. I have had mini rex and these gals (all three does yay!) are really wonky looking and feeling fur.
It feels soft like rex but none of them is truly rex when you look closely at all. and they all look a bit curly like the astrex thing.
~one of them is black and grey-ish because the fur is weirdly.. thin..? I don't really know how to explain it at all.
~one of them is a gold tipd steel and has the best density fur. while the fur is soft and does stand up it isn't very rex-y looking at the fur. the back of her neck is actually bald. I am really thinking she may have that balding gene.
~one of them looks like a nice black but looking closely has gold tipping as well. this one looks the best and has the best rex-y fur.

Is that typical of rex crosses with the fur quality?
If they don't feed up they will go to the freezer. I kind of just really want to see if the one decent looking one could be a decent crossing doe. lol. rabbitosis aquirosis strikes again!

They could be showing the astrex gene. It comes in different degrees of "strength" so even if it is just a bit wavy that is likely it.. A rex mixed with a normal furred rabbit won't produce an in between result, it will produce a regular coated rabbit. Normal and rex fur won't be found on the same animal at once.

in this area I think it more likely for me to stumble on someone handing out several hundred dollars for kicks.. than the odds of me getting oddball astrex at the local auction.. Though it is still not impossible so I will keep that in mind.
.....I'd rather have the several hundred dollars than an astrex anyways... hahahaha!

I understand about the rabbit coat genetics. let me clarify.
you can breed rex to non-rex.. then you breed the offspring and down the line you get rex fur. that rabbit isn't likely to have really nice quality rex fur. at least this is how I understand it from the reading here and elsewhere online.
With the popularity of small rabbits and breeding whatever the hell comes your way and not knowing or caring a darn thing about it... Well that is pretty much 90% of what I have witnessed here. so this is the kind of thinking I usually go by when I look at rabbits at the auction.

I will have to get some pics. the one with the 'thin' sort of fur is very odd to feel.

Latest posts

Back