Rex are on the way...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crookdbeak13

Reaction score
So I have a trio of Rex being transported to me from South Carolina! I am beyond excited to add them to my rabbitry.....They were born in April, but I have some concerns about the buck (fur) although he is supposed to be pedigreed....will make sure before I purchase...Here they are....First 2 are does, broken black is the buck.

Attachments

• Doe2.jpg
    Doe2.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 1,373
  • Doe1.jpg
    Doe1.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 1,373
  • Buck.jpg
    Buck.jpg
    551.7 KB · Views: 1,373
All 3 born around 4/23/15 ironically I didnt think to ask for weight, let me look and see if they have it on the messages....

edit: I looked at the messages and they didn't send the weights...I will weigh them as soon as we get home! I do know that they are not mini...They appear decent size for their age, as I compared the pictures to my American Blues when they were about the same age!

Hopefully all goes well! Once I get them home and settled in I will take my own pictures for everyone's review, as these are my first of the rex breed!

No, they really don't look right in the fur :(.
I see guard hairs and the have the shiny look of normal fur in the photos. The tails really show those long hairs and the way the white tips of the hairs edging the coloured parts overlap the color rather than stand up plush giving clear marks between color/white.
I hope it is just the pics! But if you haven't committed yet, make sure-- I'm new to the breed myself and I am really happy with them!

I am hoping that it is just the pictures as well....I have seen some pictures of his rabbits and the ones I have seen do have rex fur....so hopefully it is just this adolescent fur or something.....I will take them either way just because they are for meat, and obviously I had hoped to sell some as both meat/pets and get proficient with the SOP for both of my breeds....Heres to hoping! I will definitely update tomorrow after I meet at the determined location!

Rex Fur is generally only 5/8 inch long (give or take) with all hairs relatively equal. Juvenile fur looks no different from adult fur.

I'd like to see some pictures from a better angle .... but that doesn't look quite right to me.

And the feet on all three are a very dingy rather than a clean white. Not so sure I'd buy them .... Rex or not.

alforddm":2u2eh1bn said:
I was hoping someone else would chime in here but...they don't look like they have rex fur to me? Am I missing something?

I was thinking the same thing but pictures can be very deceiving sometimes, so I was going on the benefit of the doubt. Noticed the dirty feet thing as well. Looks like dirty cage syndrome ... or ground cages.
Either way, they'll taste great! Keep us posted.

That person doesn't seem to really know how to pose the buns properly.
(Not that I'm great at it either, but even I can see that the back feet are all over the place in two of the pics.)

They look like rex to me, but maybe not quality rex.
I wouldn't pay a lot for them.

I am not good at posing them either! I am still working on learning! I am meeting them about 215pm, so I will take and post pics as soon as I get home and get everyone settled. If not tonight, tomorrow. I don't want to stress them a whole lot since they have been traveling at least 12 hours already. I can't thank everyone enough for their input, and hopefully the pictures are just deceiving, but as long as they are in good health I will bring them home no matter what.....worse case scenario- meat for the freezer, but hopefully I can get a couple litters out of the does and go from there!

If they are Rex, they have WAY too many guard hairs, which makes the coat harsh in texture.

A harsh coated rabbit will usually have very good density, so can help correct an overly soft coat. Unfortunately, they all have the same fur, so I don't know what you will get out of them- likely more of the same.

You *might* get lucky and the guard hairs will molt out. I was at a show once where a gal was trying to sell some Rex to recoup a shared barn deal that went south. The owner wasn't doing her part helping to clean and ultimately just dropped out of the picture altogether, so they got the pedigrees from her and were trying to sell off the stock.

Anyway, a friend of mine wanted me to help look them over to see if any were worth buying. One rabbit had a nice body, but had a very harsh coat. Long story short, I saw the lady at a show a couple of months later, and she reported that the guard hairs had molted out.

While this is good news in the long run, if you are interested in showing it isn't ideal. There is no point in wasting months of a rabbit's show career waiting for it to get to the point where it is actually showable.

This is what Rex fur should look like:

IMG_8615.JPG

The buck looks narrow in the shoulders. The first doe looks like she may be pinched, just going on the fact that I can only see her toes. The second doe is the nicest of the group.

I don't like the fact that their feet are so filthy. Make sure to check for sore hocks and/or hutch burn, as well as overall health. Look for snotty noses!

It sounds like you are pretty committed to getting this trio already, but if you can opt out, I would, based on their lack of cleanliness alone. That indicates poor husbandry to me, and sends up red flags.

Thanks MSD! It appears from pictures of their other rabbits that they are raised on the ground in colony type setups...so I think that would explain the feet. I am definitely going to look them over and make sure that they are all healthy! The slightest hint of snot or ill health and they won't come home with me....will just be a 2.5hr roundtrip with some scenery! I feel as long as there are no outward ill health appearances, then they will at least produce me some meat mutts. I don't show and don't know that I ever would, however; I would prefer good healthy stock! Again, a big Thank You!! I will definitely update later.

crookdbeak13":1gfmztd8 said:
So I have a trio of Rex being transported to me from South Carolina! I am beyond excited to add them to my rabbitry.....They were born in April, but I have some concerns about the buck (fur) although he is supposed to be pedigreed....will make sure before I purchase...Here they are....First 2 are does, broken black is the buck.

What's with the ick on their feet? I've only seen something like that on the in-laws little buns.

I have gotten the buns settled in, trimmed nails, attempted to clean feet as best I could without stressing them too much, made sure no open sores( did a look over each bun before purchase, but wanted to give a thorough look over) loved and petted them, and put them through a photo shoot! Poor buns! Their fur is the softest I have ever felt!!!!! The look so much better in person than the pictures, with the exception of their feet. I asked the breeders, and they were raised in a colony with other growouts on the ground, hence the reason for the ick on their feet. I wiped them with a damp rag and baby wipes, but was still unable to get it all off. They are all healthy, no runny eyes, no snot, no respiratory issues as of now....and I know you are all awaiting pictures, however they are still uploading, so I will post as soon as I get them uploaded to the computer!

Rabbitdog":3v2mhqbf said:
alforddm":3v2mhqbf said:
I was hoping someone else would chime in here but...they don't look like they have rex fur to me? Am I missing something?

I was thinking the same thing but pictures can be very deceiving sometimes, so I was going on the benefit of the doubt. Noticed the dirty feet thing as well. Looks like dirty cage syndrome ... or ground cages.
Either way, they'll taste great! Keep us posted.
If he has a colony or let's them run around in a tractor or whatever they'll have dirty feet.

I have several with dirty feet because I let them roam. Not my show bunnies obviously. It doesn't necessarily indicate poor care.

Glad you got your bunnies, please post pics :)

MamaSheepdog":358zyukv said:
This is what Rex fur should look like:

MSD Please send me a buck with shoulders like that (In blue , lilac or chocolate!).

Thanks!

And now for Bunny pic overload!!!! They still don't look perfect, but they are better in person than in the breeder pics! I am not good with posing and they were not trying to cooperate much so here goes!

Doe (was supposed to be the buck, but is indeed a doe)
bAnfm4l.jpg

OBvuIJw.jpg

Has a brown spot behind the ears and is supposed to be a broken black...
BjFufaK.jpg

comkAoZ.jpg

Doe #2
t35m9Lh.jpg

zNmjEvE.jpg

HjYeu1N.jpg

a4RnTvh.jpg

Buck (was supposed to be a doe, but is shown this morning to indeed be the buck)
DBOSCIn.jpg

yrHVFwH.jpg

RMdYFLj.jpg

I'd say more like rex crosses or rexes from crossbred parents :(

doe 1 is a broken black otter and not broken black

Doe 2 is a broken chestnut/castor and possibly a "Charlie" with two broken genes

Buck is a "booted" broken chestnut/castor

Thanks Dood! I have the "pedigree" but it is questionable at best! As I said before, worse case scenario is I at least get some meat....

I thought the "broken black" was a broken black otter as well....but I am new to the rex colors so wasn't 100% sure.....

thanks for the clarification on the buck....as far as the other doe, she has a bit more color than my broken nz cross meat mutt had, but again, I don't know...

When I entered them into global pedigree, out of all the parents listed three parents were listed in global ped....

I am going to breed and cull hard and if they are not what I want I will replace them!

Back