REW vs BEW Kit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaJ

Reaction score
Hi there! I was just wondering if anyone had any tips to telling apart a REW kit from a BEW kit when still young. I started a BEW project and I know that sometimes a REW can pop into the mix, so was just going to ask at what age can I expect to be able to tell if it's a BEW or a REW?
Thanks so much!
Melissa :D

That's what I thought, but their eyes are open (12 days old) and they're neither red nor blue :( So I'm more than a bit confused :lol:

REW eyes will be a bit blue with a pinkish tint. BEW eyes will be bright sky blue. I'm just guessing, but if they appear neither red nor blue, I'm going to say they are probably REW.

I think the question is at what age does eye color become apparent?

I am fostering two of the posters kits and we were curious, now that eyes are open, at what age is rew eye or bew eye apparent? Currently they are still squinting a lot so I think all we see is pupil and it's tough to tell.

The sire has no ped so it's tough, and add Vienna into the mix, it becomes a guessing game.

at birth, bew will have a little dark spot where the eyes will be--the skin in thin, so you can see through it a bit. On rews there isn't a noticeable difference in color where the eyes are. Once they get fur, you can't tell until they open their eyes. When they first open it, rew eyes are solid blood red, and bew eyes are solid black. Within a few days, the pupils shrink down, so you can see the pink irises of the rew and the blue irises of the bew

Thank you so much!! That does make it much easier. And definitely something I can watch for in future newborns! :)

Back