Rethinking Waterbottles...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ears

Reaction score
Tonight I went out to find my Holland buck Thumper with a low water bottle. Upon rinsing and refilling it I noticed some black/green algae growing in the bottle. (The same kind I recently cleaned out from adding vinegar to the water a month before.) I used my usually method of cleaning: wrapping a damp paper towel around a long and bendable stick and swirling it around the bottle. This time, I finished cleaning the bottle, but noticed the nozzle was quite slimy as well. Upon further investigation, the whole top of the screw top nozzle was covered in the same algae on the inside! :x I shook and pounded the nozzle a few times and giant chunks of the green slim came flying out. 5 minutes later and almost no let up on the amount of slim coming from the nozzle. I just gave up on cleaning it and threw it away! :evil:

I change to metal water crocks during the winter, but I've liked water bottles in the warmer months best because they keep the water clean of dirt and other debris that the metal water crocks collect like fur (when the rabbit molts) and small leaves and bugs. (Yes I've found many nasty critters floating around in my crocks! :sick: )

I did have a certain kind of mold growing in a bottle recently that no amount of bleach would take care of.... :shock: Didn't throw that one away...but haven't yet used it again. I haven't bought one water bottle - all of mine have come from friends or with foster rabbit's I've had. (Don't worry, I make sure I clean them REALLY well before use) Most of them are leaky, but I still like them better than the crocks....although with this algae thing I'm reconsidering. I wouldn't want it to effect the health of my bunnies! :(

Tips? Ideas? Suggestion? I've heard of water bottles with flip top lids that would be much easier to clean, but that still wouldn't help with cleaning the nozzle....any water bottle brands people like, or places to just to by nozzle replacements? I'd like to find ones that are less leaky! Not sure if it's just because mine are old or what. :roll:

I found that bottles with ACV water algaefies much faster than regular water. The flip top bottles are nice but you cannot put them on their sides. They don't leak but they do release a lot of water when toggled; usually I find two rabbits can drink simultaneously from the amount coming out. Sometimes I wonder if there isn't difficulty toggling the Lixits bc the rabbits prefer a ball valve when given a choice. The 64oz rectangular bottles from TSC leak very minimally. One walmart bottle leaks like a sieve and the other doesn't.

I can see why people go to automatic waterers.

soak the works in bleach.

Gets rid of the algae.

if you do that, then you only have to clean the bottles every couple of months. The bleach will get it all, at least that's what I find.

I just use crocks .... they are easier to clean as well as refill and have the added benefit of helping my buns stay cool when it gets hot as they will sit with their paws in the water (every little bit helps in this Texas heat).
The crocks I use also wont shatter or crack like plastic or glass when it freezes .... they are a rubbery substance from Tractor Supply.

ladysown":3mivnn39 said:
soak the works in bleach.

Gets rid of the algae.

if you do that, then you only have to clean the bottles every couple of months. The bleach will get it all, at least that's what I find.

This is what I do as well. I fill a big bucket with water, add a bit of bleach, and submerse the empty bottles and caps for 10 minutes. Dump and rinse well.

i let mine sit all day. cause I have enough to wash bottles, refill a new set, so I can just get to them when I get to them. :) I think that's key when doing water bottles. have enough that switching one or five out isn't a big deal.

Ramjet":2nor99l2 said:
I just use crocks .... they are easier to clean as well as refill and have the added benefit of helping my buns stay cool when it gets hot as they will sit with their paws in the water (every little bit helps in this Texas heat).
The crocks I use also wont shatter or crack like plastic or glass when it freezes .... they are a rubbery substance from Tractor Supply.
This is all use in the north. For so many reasons, I just can't rely on water bottles. Crocks are simple and dependable for me.

Yeah crocks for me as well. They clip to the hutch so are easy to remove and clean but I agree, I am always fishing something out of them. I dumped the water bottles last year since I had to constantly replace them for leaking. They seemed to only last a few months before the new ones started to leak so I never really experienced cleaning issues :D

You don't need to do away with Water Bottles!
All you have to do when they are beyond cleaning,
is replace them with a one or two liter Soda bottle.
The lid will screw right onto it and the bottle ends up costing you
all of the 5cent deposit you forfeit by not returning it.
Of course in winter we all have to resort to water bowls,
but bottles are still the best, easiest and most healty way for your Rabbits.
As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Back