Replacing Fur in Nesting Box

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissVelveteen

Reaction score
Has anyone tried replacing a mother doe's spoiled fur in the nesting box with another doe's fur?
I have a lot of fur I've been hoarding from false pregnancies from various does, and wonder if I can use some of it to keep the nesting box cleaner but still warm and cozy! (my doe will be inside)
I was thinking of maybe adding baby soap to the wad of fur, rinsing it out, and then maybe adding a few drops of vanilla to cover up the other doe's scent. But would this work, or would the doe still possibly reject the nest? (I'm sure a rabbits sense of smell is much stronger than mine lol!)

Any thoughts welcome! I thought I read once of a breeder using other doe's fur in a different nest, but I can't remember a name.

I heard other people using it. I wouldn't put soap or anything on it, though. Just rub it over the mother doe.

I have used fur collected from other does. It has always worked for me. I would not put soap or scent on it as Sable said.

i change the entire nest when the kits are around 2 weeks, and sometimes i'll try to save some of the mom's fur, but if for whatever reason i can't, i have a jar of fur that i save and i just shove a handful out of there in and the doe never seems to care. i wouldn't worry about it.

You can always offer the fur to her outside of the nestbox. When she's building a nest, just put some of the other fur in there and if she likes it she can use it.

Back