Refused to use a nestbox, bit longwinded

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shea

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I've been having a bad run with litters so far this year. Had a bad batch of hay last fall, got that taken care of, forgot to keep records of a few breedings due to the holidays and stress. Lost a litter on the wire and can't remember the parentage of a doe I'd planned on keeping :cry:
Tie that all in with an escape artist doe learning how to get OUT of her cage and its been fun.

The escapee was one of the forgotten breedings, caught her with 2 kits on the wire got her a nestbox asap ran to get some hay and well what do you know, she figured out the door. I had all of 5 min to leave for work so she stayed out. And managed to stay out for 2 days. She dug herself a grand ole burrow 3' deep under my porch lined it nice and neatly, but no kits. Managed to catch her at this point. Then went looking. Found the rest of her litter scattered all around the base of her cage. They had either been pushed through the wire or she had them right after escaping and scattered them. Cue a rebreed with proper documentation.

Now 4wks after that whole mess. I have another litter dead on the wire. She Refused to use the nest box. Made a paltry attempt with hay and fur in her potty corner, but I'm still left with 4 kits dead on the wire and one stillborn fetus.

Do I give he another try with a different style nestbox? Something more akin to her burrow making? Or cut my losses at this point.

mothering ability/milking ability is genetic , if she fails three times,
[when she has been provided everything she needs, to succeed ]
Then, she should not be considered "breed stock".

I am a fan of below the floor, nest boxes .
it helps babies stay in the nest long enough, and stops babies from being drug out of the nest by mom, after nursing.
But, it won't "fix" poor mothering ability...

She is 2+yr old doe this is/was her 8th? litter I think. Probably is a third full loss. She is a chewer though so I have had her in different cages. Most of mine are half wood, and all my standalone nest boxes are wood, she tends to destroy them. I'll probaby give her one more go with a different style box, maybe shaped out of cage wire? And call it quits with her if she fails again.
Just needed to vent about her a bit.

*edit spelling

20200412_092950_resized.jpg

Update: She kindled 6 successfully, IN the nestbox. Finally! I did end up switching her to a different cage, and a more "cave" like nestbox. I think that worked. Easter bunnies anyone?

Latest posts

Back