Register

Recipes!

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 57,753.00

Re: Recipes!

Post Number:#31  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:55 am

That sounds really good, Tom!

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
Tom E

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 75.00

Post Number:#32  Unread postby Tom E » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Thanks, just realized we have another one that was really tasty as well.

My girlfriend is a teacher and tutors a child for a Mexican family.. One day she told the father that we raise our own rabbits and chickens to eat and for eggs. He got so excited (he used to do the same in Mexico when he was much younger), ran to get a recipe for her. It was in spanish but had such a great looking photo (I think from a magazine) that she actually spent a great deal of time in translating it.

After she finished translating to the best of her ability, I looked it over for anything that didn't make sense (you probably know how translation can be- some words translate correctly but not in the spirit of the meaning.

Anyway we came up with the following recipe, which we have used and it is delicious! Kind of like a cross between a BBQ sauce flavor/ mixed with a mole (mo-lay is pronunciation if you are unfamiliar with it. I only stress that because I don't know how to type the proper accent on the 'e' and I'm not talking about the burrowing critter, lol.)

Conejo (rabbit) Adobado :bunnyhop:

1 large rabbit in pieces
5 ancho chiles
1 large tomato
1 large onion
5 cloves garlic
2 T oregano
5 T red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
oil as needed

1. wash and dry rabbit. mix oregano, vinegar, and salt and pepper for marinade. Let the rabbit stand in marinade for 2 hours.

2. Wash chiles (these are the wrinkly dried black ones you see in the stores) and then soak them in boiling water.

3. Heat up a pan on stove, add a bit of oil, saute the tomato, chopped onion, and chopped garlic till it becomes very saucy-

4. puree the tomato mixture with the softened chiles and the used marinade- all together.

5. Fry the sauce that results in a little oil, thickening it a little till it is the consistancy that you can smear it on the rabbit like a bbq sauce.

6. Arrange the rabbit in casserole dish, smear all over with the salsa, cover and cook at 350 for 1-1.5 hours (or until tender)..

The following user would like to thank Tom E for this post
OrovilleTim

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 30.00

Post Number:#33  Unread postby FrugalQue » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:57 pm

I just discovered the beauty of poaching meats. SOOOOOOO easy and quick. For rabbit, I put an entire rabbit in a pot and add water just until it covers the rabbit. Then I add salt, cumin, coriander, rosemary (or whatever type of seasonings I feel like at the time). Bring to a boil (not a rolling boil, but just when the water starts to get wavy), turn the heat off, remove from hot burner, cover pot and let sit for 30 minutes or so. The rabbit will be totally cooked through.

This makes it so easy to remove the meat from the bones. I pull the meat from the bones (once it has cooled a little) and put it away in the fridge to use in so many dishes. Then I put the bones back in the flavored water and continue to let it simmer to make stock. I taste and season as needed.

This has made my life so easy. In fact, I can poach a rabbit as soon as I get up in the morning and have it ready to put in our lunches. Usually I do a few rabbit on the weekends though.

The rabbit will be lightly seasoned but you can add it to just about anything ... in fact, I think I will do it this weekend and then try to ground it up. We'll see how it goes. :) I probably won't be grinding up much rabbit though because we are in love with ground goat (slurp, slurp). :)
Last edited by FrugalQue on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female

Post Number:#34  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:39 pm

Sounds like a great way to cook rabbit and have stock for soup! I'm going to try it. :)

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 5.00

Post Number:#35  Unread postby bloyng » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:52 pm

as we are discussing about recipes so here i am sharing that recipe which i am using and i hope you like it....

Sweet and Sour Rabbit Recipe:
1 or 2 rabbits, cut
1 can pineapple pieces
1 green pepper, chopped
8 tomatoes, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp wine vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp corn flour
Salt and Pepper to taste

Large sauce pan or heat resistant roasting dish
Cooking time - 1 hour 20 minutes

Place all the ingredients except the corn flour into a heat proof dish simmer gently on top of the stove for 1 hour or until the meat is tender.

When rabbit has cooled remove meat and chop into small pieces.

Mix corn flour with a little water add to heat proof dish bring to boil stirring all the time.

Add the pieces of rabbit back in the dish with the sauce, reheat and pour into a serving dish.

Serve with boiled rice or pasta and salad.

The following user would like to thank bloyng for this post
NaturalBirthMama

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 3,674.00

Post Number:#36  Unread postby caroline » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:28 pm

Garden Marinade for Rabbit
Ingredients:
Whole rabbit[s]
Lemons, quartered
Garlic, chopped
Fresh oregano, chopped
Fresh sage, chopped
The amounts are really arbitrary. You need enough lemons so that when you squeeze the juice it makes enough liquid to really be able to coat the rabbit[s] in the bowl
I mix up this marinade when I am going to butcher, and I have a LARGE stainless steel bowl that I fill with the lemon juice, the torn up lemon rind and pulp that is left after you squeeze the juice out, the chopped garlic and the herbs. Then I pile the rabbits in the liquid and cover the bowl & refrigerate for a couple of days so that the meat can lose its rigor. Then we take as many as we want to grill. We get the fire hot and break the back of each rabbit so that we can lay it flat with the inside down on the grill. We grill it for about 15-20 minutes until it is nice and crispy on the inside. It doesn’t hurt if the bony side gets a little burnt looking. It actually tastes better to me that way. Then we turn it over to cook for about 10 minutes, or so, on the outside. Then serve.
Any rabbit that we aren’t going to cook right away, we put into its own zip-lock bag and add some of the marinade, including the pieces of lemon, and freeze until we want to use it.
(\__/)(\(\ (Y) () ()
(='.'=)(-.-)('.')(^;^)
(")_(")(")(")(")(")(")(")
Rancho Madonna Rex Rabbits ~ Love that brown gene!

The following user would like to thank caroline for this post
NaturalBirthMama

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 5.00

Post Number:#37  Unread postby NaturalBirthMama » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:59 am

Love all the recipes! I'm new to rabbits so this was a wonderful thread!

BunnyBucks: 10,745.00

Post Number:#38  Unread postby AnnClaire » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:54 pm

Oh, dear, no one has posted Bunny Noodle Soup?!?

You can use any bunny pieces you want and this is a great use for ribs and front quarters, but I also use a whole rabbit.

Start by cooking (poaching) pieces in water seasoned with a little salt.

Remove pieces from the liquid and cool to remove meat. Return the bones to the stock and continue to simmer until meat is ready to return to pot. Strain the bones out and chop or shred the meat and return to the pot. Add wide egg noodles and an additional quart of rabbit or chicken stock if more liquid is needed. I use a soup/stock pot and start with it half full of water and do all simmering/cooking with a lid on, but sometimes I just need more stock.

Cook at a slow boil for about 15 minutes, until the noodles are just starting to soften, then turn heat off and add milk (about 2-4 cups) adjust salt and season with black pepper. Cover and let sit for another 15-30 minutes until the noodles are plumped.

This will serve 4-8 adults depending on how much rabbit meat you start with.

This is adapted from Grandmother's chicken noodle soup :lol:

__________ Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:54 pm __________

Onion Soup Bunny

Preheat oven to 350F

1 pkg dry onion soup
2 cups dry rice, cooked
4 rabbit quarters

Cook rice. Pour pkg dry onion soup in container and dredge rabbit quarters to coat. In tin foil square, place 1 serving of rice and place rabbit quarter on top. Fold foil into nice tight package and place in oven safe dish (I use a glass casserole dish) with the package seam up. Bake in oven for 45 minutes or until quarter is cooked through.

For additional yummy, add sliced fresh mushrooms ... mmmmmmmmmm.

You can also do this with chicken breast :lol:
cheers - AnnClaire

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#39  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:16 pm

More recipes for rabbit can be found in our Rabbit Recipes forum.

BunnyBucks: 477.00

Post Number:#40  Unread postby Lowell » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:39 pm

Grilled rabbit on the grill tonight as per this recipe...

http://www.food.com/recipe/Grilled-Rabb ... lic-126920

and it was very good and very easy!!!

Hope to have more born this comimg week!!!

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 157.00

Post Number:#41  Unread postby J.O.Y. Farm » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Wow! Love this thread! We have been doing 'chicken' noodle soup with the rabbit meat. but am really excited to try some of these!

BunnyBucks: 477.00

Post Number:#42  Unread postby Lowell » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:01 pm

We are having rabbit noodle soup tonight!! One of my favorite ways!!

Just use a chicken soup recipe.

Tom E's recipe sounds very good....will have to try that one for sure!!

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 819.00

Post Number:#43  Unread postby SyP » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:42 pm

Wow Devon, I had no idea you ate rabbits, goood to know. :cheesysmile:
Golden Rabbitry
Quality Show and Meat Palominos

BunnyBucks: 550.00

Post Number:#44  Unread postby carebear » Mon May 06, 2013 2:45 pm

Chicken Fried Rabbit
(sorry I don't have definate amounts, I usually just wing it)

The night before, cut the meat up into the appropriate sizes and marinate overnight in enough buttermilk to cover. I use a zip bag and place it in a bowl in case of leaks. I add seasonings, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, onion powder and garlic powder. The acid in the buttermilk helps to tenderize the meat.

A couple hours before dinner, drain the buttermilk from the meat.
In a bowl put flour and add what seasonings you like, and here's the magic, ranch powder to taste. I taste the flour mixture to make sure it's not too salty. It's easy to fix, just add more flour.

Dredge the meat in the flour and place it on a cooling rack to rest. This is a very important step. It helps the coating adhere to the meat so it doesn't fall off during cooking. It should rest for at least 45 minutes. At this point in time I allow the meat to come up to room temperature. I believe this helps the meat cook all the way. (you can do the resting in the fridge if you are uncomfortable with the room temp rest)

I use a frying blend oil and a deep chicken fryer cast iron pan. It's important to have the oil hot enough that the moisture bubbling out from the meat keeps the oil from flowing in. Keeps the meat from being greasy. I also have an instant read thermometer handy to check the parts with the bone still in them. I cooked to 170 but I'm not sure what the recommended temp is. The nugget sized pieces worried me less and I cooked them til they were golden brown and delicious.

This was DH's first rabbit meal, and the meat came out tender in spite of me freezing the rabbit before it came out of rigor. I thank the buttermilk for that.
Enjoy!

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,365.00

Post Number:#45  Unread postby BlueMoods » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:35 pm

"Green" Rabbit Casserole:

Okay odd name, but thank the grand kids for that one. You need 2 rabbits, cut into pieces as for frying. Some flour seasoned with salt and pepper, a skillet and a bit of oil. 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, 1 soup can of milk. a few pats of butter, some french fired onions.

Lightly dredge the rabbit in flour. Sear to golden brown in the oil, in the skillet. Arrange the browned rabbit in a baking dish, mix the soup and milk then pour that over the rabbit. Top with crispy onions. Bake at 350 for 1 hour to 1.5 hours. "Green" Rabbit Casserole (a rip on Green Bean Casserole, you just replaced the green beans with browned rabbit)

PreviousNext