Rebuilding the racks...to something different...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
So my goal is to tear down my racks

and rebuild them with stands like this.

I will be making them tall enough to stack them three high. makes the bottom cage a bit low but then I can fit them in better.
The cages will also have feed bags hung between for isolation/spraying/grumpy rabbits won't need to see each other.

I'm just trying to figure out a few details yet.

I'll be getting some new cages with the trays built on, but I'll also be tearing down some of my old cages and putting trays under them.

I'm trying to figure out how
1. to suspend the cage to minimize poop getting caught. on the racks I used these corner elbow things, but for some rabbits that proved to be a good poop catch and I'd rather not deal with that if I don't need to (though some will be held with them as I prefer not to buy what I don't need). I thought of using sturdy nails but hubby doesn't think that will work for 30 inch cages.
2. what to put on top. I was thinking of reusing some old coroplast I have...but wonder if I should do plywood instead (though that is harder to cut and I'm some leery of power tools). So if the coroplast isn't strong enough (hubby's thoughts) and I don't want to cut plywood.... what are my options for finishing the top to use as shelving?
3. trays... right now the trays I have I don't put anything in them as I scrape them daily. What is the reasoning for using peatmoss/pine/or whatever in them?

Helpful hints?

I am capable of using electric drills and using a hand saw.
I have good helpers in an eight year son and his 11 year old friend.
I don't have a huge rush on this but I'd like to get it done before the by-law officer swings around again.

I also have to work around the fact I am not allowed to lift anything over 10 pounds for the next three weeks minimum yet.

1. to suspend the cage to minimize poop getting caught. on the racks I used these corner elbow things, but for some rabbits that proved to be a good poop catch and I'd rather not deal with that if I don't need to (though some will be held with them as I prefer not to buy what I don't need). I thought of using sturdy nails but hubby doesn't think that will work for 30 inch cages.
it will be difficult to remove cages if you use nails since there cage fits rather tightly between the wooden frame. It looks like the cages have 2 inches of wire on the bottom edge to make room for the trays, won't this be enough to support them or are not all your cages built for a slide in tray?

2. what to put on top. I was thinking of reusing some old coroplast I have...but wonder if I should do plywood instead (though that is harder to cut and I'm some leery of power tools). So if the coroplast isn't strong enough (hubby's thoughts) and I don't want to cut plywood.... what are my options for finishing the top to use as shelving?
Rubber Maid bins or if you don't have much height the ones designed to slide under a bed.

3. trays... right now the trays I have I don't put anything in them as I scrape them daily. What is the reasoning for using peatmoss/pine/or whatever in them?
I only clean my rabbits every 3 to 5 days and the peat moss absorbs the urine and cuts down on smell.

i should have been a bit clearer... I don't need storage ideas... I'm wondering more the topping of the units to make a shelf. :)

Not all my cages will be built with a slide in tray. I need to figure how to hold the cage. The trays will be on 2 x 4 supports.

I use two 4" nails and some straight wire to hang my cages, and they are considerably larger than yours. It's 64x24", split into 2 cages that are 32x24. I've had them hung like this for about 6mths now without any issue.

Latest posts

Back