Register

Really People?!

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 7,102.00

Really People?!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby ButtonsPalace » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:00 pm

I know you guys have heard me rant about this rabbit and her family before... But they asked if their daughter could have a rabbit out of one of my litters I said sure.. why not? right? Probably not the smartest thing I've ever done because she hasn't seen him since she picked it out. She's asked if I can bring it to her house but there's two large dogs and I don't want to sit in their house because their too busy to watch her with the bunny. They've been so busy they haven't even came to see their original rabbit in probably 2-3 months. This rabbit just sits and chews on the wire because she's slow I suppose.. I think she's depressed, she's very attached to her person and her person never comes to see her. It's just really annoying that they've asked me for another, I mean you don't care for the one you have?! I'm obviously selling the kit because I don't want another buck as I've stated before, and I would end up getting attached to it watching it grow up *Plus the dad he's smart but he doesn't always make the best decisions and the last thing I need is them to breed a mentally unstable doe, or, put her in with this buck *She's already killed a doe and almost killed one of my does*
@Happydalerabbits on Facebook :)

Site Admin
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,409.00

Re: Really People?!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:03 pm

There's a handy little word to use in situations like this: NO. To soften it, you can add SORRY and tell them why . . . but lead off with the NO. Don't accept promises for future behaviour . . . They need to prove it with actions before you believe them.

I know this is difficult, especially the first time, but practice makes perfect. Why should you suffer agonies for the rabbits in their care when it is obvious they don't care?
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
ButtonsPalace, Easy Ears, Sumatra, Zass

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,231.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Miss M » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:28 am

I'm absolutely with Maggie. Sounds like the rabbits are better off not being at their house, and you are better off not stressing over whether rabbits are being well cared for at their house, or whether they are ignored or being used as toys by the dogs. Maybe the one is technically hers can live at your house indefinitely.
We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 4,310.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Preitler » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:21 pm

Is there any way to have a serious talk about animal husbandry concerning rabbits, over a beer, on a nice evening? It's not like they aren't a lot of work...

Just making clear, it's her rabbit if she does at least all the chores for it. Every day. For the next 10 years, or so.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Post Number:#5  Unread postby ButtonsPalace » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Preitler wrote:Is there any way to have a serious talk about animal husbandry concerning rabbits, over a beer, on a nice evening? It's not like they aren't a lot of work...

Just making clear, it's her rabbit if she does at least all the chores for it. Every day. For the next 10 years, or so.

I'm not even 20 yet lol so beer is out of the question XD. The rabbit is with my rabbits. I care for her. Not them, which is annoying.. I really hate her.. I mean I really despise this rabbit.. She's so mean sometimes and then one day she'll be really sweet and I'll start to rethink hating her and bam she's evil again :x

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,899.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Prisma » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:30 pm

The rabbit's hitting teen phase at this point right? Need more consistent contact, or she'll not be friendly adult.

I would have a very frank talk, as already said. can't do beer, do coffee n snacks or tea and snacks...make it inviting but friendly. Make it a point, you cannot keep going on with things like they are. A rabbit, a pet, even while staying at some one else's is STILL a big responsibility. You cannot foot every thing for that rabbit, if they ask why put it bluntly, you figured she'd be contributing to set off the keeping of the rabbit, its not and you have LIMITED resources. Every one does. It's not working and she's not one you want to keep around other wise. Tell them unless the situation changes, you're going to have to find her another place to go as she's not getting the care and attention originally agreed upon and you cannot spare your limited resources to do her proper care and attention. They may get mad, the kid may get mad, but they need a wake up call. So many think every one else should give give give with no help back, it doesn't work that way. Any one else would've already ousted the problem around here.
Visit the Rabbitry on the web @ http://prismaticrabbitry.wixsite.com/prismatic

Specializing in Mini Rex for showing (tri). Select few Netherland Dwarfs just for fun.
Located near Glenville, West Virginia

The following user would like to thank Prisma for this post
Preitler, Zass

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 34,316.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby ladysown » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:35 am

:yeahthat: good advice
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

Post Number:#8  Unread postby ButtonsPalace » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:22 pm

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry wrote:The rabbit's hitting teen phase at this point right? Need more consistent contact, or she'll not be friendly adult.

I would have a very frank talk, as already said. can't do beer, do coffee n snacks or tea and snacks...make it inviting but friendly. Make it a point, you cannot keep going on with things like they are. A rabbit, a pet, even while staying at some one else's is STILL a big responsibility. You cannot foot every thing for that rabbit, if they ask why put it bluntly, you figured she'd be contributing to set off the keeping of the rabbit, its not and you have LIMITED resources. Every one does. It's not working and she's not one you want to keep around other wise. Tell them unless the situation changes, you're going to have to find her another place to go as she's not getting the care and attention originally agreed upon and you cannot spare your limited resources to do her proper care and attention. They may get mad, the kid may get mad, but they need a wake up call. So many think every one else should give give give with no help back, it doesn't work that way. Any one else would've already ousted the problem around here.

I can't be the one to tell them or they'll throw a huge fit. I'd love to sell the rabbit "good-bye!" But I am going to bring it up to them that their rabbit could use some more attention and that she's missing her human.. She wanted the little brown kit *The only one in the litter* But I'm selling him. I'll be posting pics of all of them later on today so everyone can see *They've got so big!* And I also need to put them up for sale... Hopefully they'll sell faster than their siblings before them (A lady said she was going to get them but changed her mind.)

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,899.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Prisma » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:35 pm

So what if they throw a fit? Being able to deal with a bad situation is part of growing up, and unfortunately part of the hobby. Does them throwing a fit mean you'll be put off the property? No, no problem then. Does it mean they'll make you get rid of the rabbits? No, no problem then. IF you still don't want to, that's your choice, but then you've decided you are at their mercy and have no room or reason to make a fuss over what they do or won't do about the rabbit's care :/ :(

__________Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:35 pm __________

I know that's really blunt, but unfortunately there is no other way to put it. Sugar coating things doesn't work.

If you've not thought about future issues, here's some. What's going to happen when the rabbit needs expensive vet care? The problem is treatable but requires long term care and THEY decide you can fit the bill because you agreed to care, putting down is an option but they want to hear none of it. What if they move? What if you need to move? What if the rabbit becomes so hostile it bites and it is impossible to care for properly? What if it causes some one visiting severe damage that YOU are now responsible for since the rabbit is in your care? What happens if that kid gets bit and it causes severe damage? You are the care taker, you are responsible. Just because its "their" rabbit doesn't mean they won't try to get damages if it rips into them and requires medical attention. It has happened before. Think really hard about the blunt facts and possibilities.
Visit the Rabbitry on the web @ http://prismaticrabbitry.wixsite.com/prismatic

Specializing in Mini Rex for showing (tri). Select few Netherland Dwarfs just for fun.
Located near Glenville, West Virginia

Post Number:#10  Unread postby ButtonsPalace » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:39 pm

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry wrote:So what if they throw a fit? Being able to deal with a bad situation is part of growing up, and unfortunately part of the hobby. Does them throwing a fit mean you'll be put off the property? No, no problem then. Does it mean they'll make you get rid of the rabbits? No, no problem then. IF you still don't want to, that's your choice, but then you've decided you are at their mercy and have no room or reason to make a fuss over what they do or won't do about the rabbit's care :/ :(

__________Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:35 pm __________

I know that's really blunt, but unfortunately there is no other way to put it. Sugar coating things doesn't work.

If you've not thought about future issues, here's some. What's going to happen when the rabbit needs expensive vet care? The problem is treatable but requires long term care and THEY decide you can fit the bill because you agreed to care, putting down is an option but they want to hear none of it. What if they move? What if you need to move? What if the rabbit becomes so hostile it bites and it is impossible to care for properly? What if it causes some one visiting severe damage that YOU are now responsible for since the rabbit is in your care? What happens if that kid gets bit and it causes severe damage? You are the care taker, you are responsible. Just because its "their" rabbit doesn't mean they won't try to get damages if it rips into them and requires medical attention. It has happened before. Think really hard about the blunt facts and possibilities.

They are moving soon. If they don't take her she'll be sold. That's the only reason I'm not doing anything right now. Plus they don't like being talked to by "kids" even though I'm an adult. I talked to my mother-in-law and she said she'd talk to them. I think it's ridiculous that even though I'm an adult I can't speak out to them. I'll be so glad when they are gone and hope they plan to take her because if they don't someone else will. I don't even care if I profit off her I'll give her away! I don't care. I'm not allowed to breed her because she isn't mine. So she's just a waste of my time and money having to feed her, It's almost unnerving. Although she does get the minimum possible food (1/2 cup) so that helps