Register

Raw Fleeces, now what?

Keeping rabbits for their wool and methods of using it.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 9,871.00

Re: Raw Fleeces, now what?

Post Number:#16  Unread postby ohiogoatgirl » Sun May 24, 2020 11:49 pm

Test anything on little samples. A lot of things will start to eat through the fiber. Like a lot of old tapestries all have the same colors fell out of them. The heavy metals and processes weakened the wool fibers so you know based on deterioration what colors were most likely.
I'm not sure if they have it there but Orvus paste is sold in TSC and farm stores for washing livestock for shows etc. I see plenty enough people in the spinners facebook groups use that for stubborn dirty fleeces. But just remember some wools and breeds are just not 'bright white' and won't be no matter how much you wash it. It's a breed and specific genetics thing. Some breeds also have white fleeces but are bred for other traits that make for the 'golden fleece'. Used to be a big deal.

I've been super busy so very little spinning for me. While back when it was overcast and still muddy from days of rain I was out in front of the barn skirting fleeces. We added to the roof for a nice covered area to do shearing, etc. I set up two folding tables on the shearing floor and skirt there. I do have some 'destash' red Corriedale top on the wheel waiting for me to come back. Have some grey I'm thinking to ply it with to tone down the red. Have a pound of both so it'll be a little time to finish when I can get back to it.
Can I get back all that spare time I used to have?

https://www.instagram.com/girlwalkswithgoats/

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,780.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby GBov » Mon May 25, 2020 7:06 am

You are so right about not all white being white, the white Shetland is vastly different from the white Cotswold locks.

Am loving more and more to just use the color the wool comes in, my little Vikings suit the natural colors nicely. https://photos.app.goo.gl/oUYx1diJYbPfF224A

Felted a super long and wide strip of Shetland dark blue on light blue (no idea the proper color names yet :oops: ) as a start to the wool quilt I want to make but it went to mum instead, she can wrap her hips with it when they hurt and the pain eases or, sometimes, goes away.

We discovered, quite by accident, that if you have an ache or pain then undyed wool felt or a tanned rabbit hide placed on the ache will relieve the pain considerably. The rabbit hide, fur side to the body, works best but the felt is right behind for relief so well worth trying.

The following user would like to thank GBov for this post
hotzcatz

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,695.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby hotzcatz » Sat May 30, 2020 2:42 am

Do you have to put any salve or anything on the felt or wool to make it take away aches? Do you think it's from the extra warmth?
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com

BunnyBucks: 14,780.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby GBov » Sat May 30, 2020 7:33 am

hotzcatz wrote:Do you have to put any salve or anything on the felt or wool to make it take away aches? Do you think it's from the extra warmth?

No salve or anything, just the wool felt or rabbit hide on the ache or pain.

It might be the extra warmth assisting blood flow to the area that gives relief but the doesn't explain why it works in the bed where one is already warm. A bit of a mystery but it really does work.

Thank goodness it does. :D

Previous