Register

Raw Feeding of a Pack

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 30.00

Raw Feeding of a Pack

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Siberian Instincts » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:00 pm

I don't want to offend anyone so if I do I can remove my post just tell me.
I have a pack of 12 dogs and we are slowly getting into raw feeding. My question is what are everyones thoughts of after my grow outs are ready to harvest, can I cut them in half and feed them like that. I have been skinning and gutting/deboning them. Id like to just remove the gall bladder and then feed instead of worrying about kibble to provide the extra nutrition for them. So whats everyone's thoughts over this or should i continue to gut and skin, not deboning anymore.

Site Supporter
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,919.00

Re: Raw Feeding of a Pack

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:58 pm

When I talked to a raw feeding person a while back, she told me that they occasionally toss the pack whole (killed) chickens, feathers and all..... to help boost vitamins.
Most of the time she skinned the birds to feed....

I assume rabbit would be the same....
Personally if I went to raw, I would skin and feed the whole carcass.
(I can cure the pelts and sell, so I would want to keep those)
Breeding Czech Frosty & Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

The following user would like to thank SarniaTricia for this post
Siberian Instincts

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,965.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby shazza » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:02 pm

leaving the fur on can provide some enrichment since the dogs will have to pull it off in order to eat, but i'm with sarniatricia in that one of the reasons i breed rabbits is to tan the pelts to sell, so i would skin mine and give them without fur. there's plenty of other ways to entertain a dog imo haha. i also clean the skulls so i would likely cut the heads off too. ultimately it's the meat, bones, and other organs that are the good stuff so to speak so i don't think they'd much miss the brain and eyeballs.

i can't wait until i have somewhere to put a deep freeze so i can start raw feeding my cats/dog. they're no crazy about it now, but they also only know what raw chicken is. hopefully with some work they'll realize rabbit (and quail hopefully,) is super tasty and catch on.
standard rex, harlequin, meat/fur mutts
blog: @frithyeerfarm | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

The following user would like to thank shazza for this post
Siberian Instincts

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Siberian Instincts » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:15 pm

Thank you for the replies, id still like to remove the head as its hard to cuddle with a rabbit after seeing that i would think. I dont know how to preserve my skins so i guess the dogs can have them, just dont want huge hair balls in my kennels. Thank you for the chicken idea as well, i can add that to my feeding maybe to change up flavors.

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,999.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Zass » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:20 pm

Heads are great food for dogs though. A good portion of the rabbit is it's head.

Mine have eaten 100's of heads, fur off, and I still cuddle the buns. My dogs eat everything skinned though, because they seem to have this firm belief that anything with fur on it is my property. It spares my live bunnies for potential aggression, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
Siberian Instincts

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:30 pm

My dogs have pooped fur balls :x . I had a cooler with hides and one of them wedged it open and snitched one :roll: (lesson learned! Cooler now gets set inside the basement) not to mention the feet are top on their list of favorite snacks when butchering.
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

The following user would like to thank FourRingCircus for this post
Siberian Instincts

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,848.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby jeannie » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:53 pm

I feed my dog rabbit too.
After processing for family food, I freeze the rest of the rabbit in dog size portions, bones included. So yeah, don't go to the trouble of deboning.

He LOVES his "breakfast" lol
Picture is of him at 4 months old... he's bigger than his parents, but I think it's the food he gets... he's all muscle now at 7 1/2 months and 80 pounds.

Taking some advice from the posts... I'm going to save the heads and feet for him as snacks too :)
Love this forum!!
Attachments
4 mo 1.jpg
4 mo 1.jpg (42.6 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
Everybunny needs a Lionhead bunny! www.jjrabbitry.com

The following user would like to thank jeannie for this post
Siberian Instincts

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,965.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby shazza » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:08 pm

Zass wrote:Heads are great food for dogs though. A good portion of the rabbit is it's head.

for $10-15 a skull im gonna keep a few of em at least ;P though maybe if i give him some raw heads he'll stop trying to eat my skull collection...
standard rex, harlequin, meat/fur mutts
blog: @frithyeerfarm | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

Site Admin
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,359.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:30 pm

Welcome to RabbitTalk, Siberian Instincts! :welcome:

You won't offend anyone as long as you confine posts about using rabbits for food (human or pet) to the Meat Rabbits forum. When we started RabbitTalk, we wanted a site that welcomed people who raise rabbits for ANY reason: pets, pelts, fibre, meat or show. The understanding and tolerance of our members for other members with whom they may not agree has been wonderful. We all share a love and respect for rabbits, although we may use them for different purposes.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
Siberian Instincts

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 32,490.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Dood » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:48 pm

I'm a raw feeder too and the main reason I got back into rabbits :D

My dogs rarely eat the skin unless they are bored ;) so I usually skin them

Feeding the whole rabbit actually provides a more balanced meal with meat and fat for calories, organs for vitamins and bones for minerals

There are quite a few raw feeding Facebook groups that can help with the transition, Worldwide raw feeding advice and support is one of the more user friendly ones
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (146.37 KiB) Viewed 1540 times

The following user would like to thank Dood for this post
Siberian Instincts

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Siberian Instincts » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:08 pm

Awesome information. I think what i will do is keep the pelt maybe ill be able to preserve them for some use. Never though of the feet as snacks, one rabbit could go along way in the treat department. Thank you everyone, so far love this website.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Slovenia
BunnyBucks: 1,050.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Nika » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:41 am

My dogs also don`t like the fur, I think that they associate fur with live animal. Once I tricked them to eat something with fur and end up with gross, slimmy furballs..never again ;)

2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 5.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby Ruurd » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:25 pm

hallo, i feed my dog's complete (young) rabbit's and the don't seem to have problems with the fur. only drawback is that the like the rabbit's so much that the want to get them there self's :evil:

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby akane » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:30 pm

I think that's part of why mine won't eat fur or feathers. They were taught not to touch the animals. We are nice to the small animals. They do not go in our mouths or under our paws. Give them enough time and they'll start pulling apart the dead body but it gets plucked out all over the place instead. They'd have a lot more food if I didn't have to take the time to skin everything and so sell off or snake food stuff instead.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:02 am

My dogs consider skinned and pieced out rabbit to be a delicacy.

Most often they get only the heads, feet, and guts when we butcher.

They sometimes also get whole intact rabbits. They eat them from the inside out, leaving the pelt (cased pelt, I kid you not!) for last.

The fur does not hurt them, but it does look like coyotes have been in your yard leaving their fur-filled scat!

IMG_9299.JPG
IMG_9299.JPG (788.7 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Next