Raising Male and female side by side

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fieldsofjoy

Reaction score
Hi!
I have two young angora rabbits (one male and one female) and I am wanting to house them side by side- neither one of them are fixed .
Do you think this will be a problem with urine spraying or possibly changing their personalities when hormones start changing?
There would be wire and flashing as a urine guard up between them. OR would I be better off to have wood between them so they can't even see each other?
I wasn't sure what forum to post this in, so if I should put this somewhere else please advise me as to where! thank you!

they should be fine raising side by side. I find it matters not where I put my bucks.. that my hollands ALL go through this three week "I'm a boy stage" and then chill out.. during that stage they go in a bottom cage until they chill. You'll need to watch them and see how they go.

Until just very recently, my breeding trio (old buck and very young does) were housed side-by-side without problem. I did find that the doe right next to the buck matured for breeding faster than the one further away from the buck (I determine maturation by signs, not arbitrary ages). She was often more aggressive, as well.

My buck is older: 2.5 yrs, so his inclination to pee sprinkler-style has likely passed. A younger buck might be more inclined.

Since moving my buck away from the does, he is by himself. As owners, we worry about loneliness in a separated rabbit, but I see none of that with my buck. He seems as happy and docile as ever. So, I see no problem protecting that Angora hair from territorial pee by putting a divider in. Just a piece cardboard would do.

In other words, you could go either way, but I'd divide them.

thank you for the replies! they are currently in a giant hutch and separated by wire and some really tall flashing..so they can touch noses and check each other out but they haven't sprayed or anything at each other... yet! I don't think I will have any issues at all :) thank you!

I have had more issues in my limited experience with buck on buck spraying (the two grow outs by each other were pretty well stained yellow :x )... I have heard of them being able to breed through wire so that might be a consideration as well. I have never had it happen though...

Back