Raising a chick question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaR

Reaction score
OK I tried an experiment and it worked!! :shock: :lol:

I let my broody buff set on 6 eggs, so far 2 have hatched and a third has started to hatch. I have read that it is fine to let them stay in the coop with mom that she and the rooster will protect them from the other hens, as nature has done for years before people decided hens cant raise their own chicks. Now I don't know what I should do, she has them in the nestbox that is about 3 feet off the floor, when they are done hatching should I try moving them to the ground? also what about food and water? do I need to get chick starter for them? I obviously will need a separate water dish since the hens have a big tub. Anything else I should do?

Oh and how long do I give the rest of the eggs to hatch? I originally had the 19th down as the hatch date of 21 days.

You can raise chicks without chick starter in spite of all the advice one finds to the contrary. I posted about raising ours without it last spring. They will need water they can reach. I don't know answers to your other questions--haven't had a broody hen hatch and raise chicks for us yet but hope to do it next year.

Yes, move the hen, nest, and chicks, to the ground as soon as possible. They're a bit young to be jumping 3 feet. Sure, she can raise them herself. That part is no problem with chickens like it often is with guineas or turkeys. She'll be roaming with those chicks circling her in no time.

Wait 3 more days, as that's how long the chick's yolk sack lasts before they normally start needing food in the wild. Of course, that won't matter as much if you provide food and water next to them. In that case she could sit on the eggs for really as long as she wants, which could be weeks more. But 3 days is usually standard. By that time she'll also have a stronger attachment to the chicks instead of the eggs she's spent so much time with, and she'll be more inclined to forage.

Yes, it's possible to raise chicks without starter, but it's certainly not the best if you have a feed store nearby. Hens can find food for their chicks, but only if they're free-ranging all the time. Can you let them do that? If not, in a pinch, any combination of grains ground up will help, and they'll eat whatever their mom eats. I'd also boil an egg and mash it with a fork for a protein source if needed.

I LOVE watching a broody hatch and raise her own chicks. It is such a fascinating process to watch! I have done both separate and together with the flock. I have fewer losses when they are separate (not sure how much is aggression, vs. just accidental trampling on the floor of the coop - hasn't happened often, but still sad to see. It would be good to put a pallet or something in there that the check can run into, but the bigger ones can't access. Mine use to hang out behind the nesting boxes... I think I have a pic actually, I will see if I can find it) but it's definitely nice to not have to worry about reintroducing everyone and figuring out that whole pecking order thing again. Roosters will vary on their loyalty to the hen and chicks (likely depends on how high on the totem pole she is with him, and also how much power he has over the flock in general), but the mama hen will likely protect them to the point that no one will want to mess with them either way :lol:

I went ahead and moved the chicks for now, one of the chicks eyelid was split open by one of the hens. I may try and put them in a crate inside the coop where the other hens can see them but cant get to them.
So far no other eggs have hatched so I think I will give them a couple more days then toss them.

I am so curious to see how they turn out. My rooster is a light brahma and 2 of the chicks came from my americuna hens and the other??? could be a buff, or light brahma or either my silver or golden laced Wyandotte. The 2 EE chicks are yellow with a grey/black strip on the back and head, the other chick is light yellow. All 3 have feathered legs!

Our hens went broody and I set a dozen eggs under the 2 of them. They protected those chicks right away and still do. They are 2 months old now. A few weeks they were following their moms in a chicken coop 4 ft off the ground. They were so cute!

Eggs not hatched on the 22nd day are duds. Heres a test. Get a bowl with water, if the egg floats toss it. Also late hatched chicks are usually deeformed. Splay legged or twisted necks. If you have a big space where your chickens roam theres no need for commercial feed. But if you keep them in a pen then you do have to give them some.Looks like you have some scrappy hens around. Better keep them in a coop by themselves.I guess this reply is quite late judging by ur post date. Future reference.

Back