Rabbits Drinking More Than Usual

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haeller

Reaction score
(I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section.)

Hello everyone,

Lately, we have noticed that our two rabbits have been drinking more water than usual. Normally, they finish the water bottle within a week, but lately, the water has been lasting for about 3-4 days before it is gone. (Note: We are certain that it is not the water bottle leaking. We hear the bottle click, indicating that the rabbits are drinking.)

At first, we suspected the food was making them thirsty, but it has always been the same brand and type. Then, we decided to lower the temperature, thinking it was too hot for them, but the problem persisted. Someone suggested they are drinking more water because of hunger and want to fill their stomachs. We do not completely doubt this although we always have been following a suitable feeding schedule.

We are very concerned seeing the excessive amount of water they have been taking in. I have seen several posts mentioning kidney problems. I really hope that is not the case.

Do you have any ideas as to why they have been drinking more water than usual?

Some information about our rabbits:
  • Our rabbits are about a year old.
  • Their cage is near a vent - could the cold/warm air possibly cause them to drink more water?
  • They have been eating normally.
  • They are active when we let them out.
  • Their droppings look fine though we noticed they occasionally poop a lot on certain days.
  • Overall, they have been acting normally.

I've noticed this recently with two of my does. They used to need their bottles refilled every four days, now it's more like every two days. Just those two does, though, and their bottles are not leaking.

I'm not sure what caused it in either mine or your rabbits. I'm hoping someone else on here will know what's causing this. It has me worried.

Latest posts

Back