rabbits and rubber?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think that rubber is toxic... but it's not good that they are eating it because it could cause a blockage if they consume a lot. Is this the liner that prevents damage to the floor?

I lost a doe this fall and the ONLY thing I could find was a little chewed rubber mat (the bright coloured locking squares for kid flooring) .. I am quite convinced she blocked on it ... :(

MaggieJ":1xe9fd53 said:
I don't think that rubber is toxic... but it's not good that they are eating it because it could cause a blockage if they consume a lot. Is this the liner that prevents damage to the floor?
Yup. They have left all the other things alone in the pen. It's just the edges of the liner that stick up around the 2x4 on the edge. Like I said..not a LOT, but it's like they nibble at it "cuz it's there".

silly rabbits. It MAY be the kits. I haven't actually seen anyone nibbling it. Just noticed that it has chunks missing.

ahh...just saw Brody's post. right. that's bad.

I'll slice off any more that I see poking up. They leave the actual floor alone. And even their little razor claws don't seem to shred it. I'll keep a close watch on it.

I"m sure rubber isn't good for them. I had a pet rabbit a few years ago who had the run of the house (litter trained) and she used to nibble at the baseboards and the carpet. I would find carpet fibres in her poo and once I found four or five poo balls strung out on a long piece of carpet fibre like a necklace, evenly spaced like it was done on purpose. I got a bit of a chuckle with the vision or the poor bunny trying to pass that. Must have hung out there for a while! My point being that, although these things aren't good for them, it might not do much harm, just pass through.

My brother's dog ate the tv remote control once, they found pieces of plastic in his poo for a couple of days!

For some reason rabbits love rubber, especially electrical "zip cord" like one constantly sees on lamps.

My daughtes rabbit constantly chewed lamp cords in secret. I have never figured out how it could chew clear thorugh the rubber on both sides, with a wet mouth and not get electrocuted or shocked. We never noticed it the first time untill she chewed clear through a lamp cord under the couch, metal and all. Then we started checking and found she had chewed on every lamp cord in the house, always behind something where one wouldn't notice. A couple of months ago one managed to snag the radio cord in the rabbitry with her paw, and chew it in three pieces. :roll:

Yup, just about every cord in my house had chew marks on it, specially behind the tv where she got the tv, vcr and super nintendo (this was a few years ago!) cords, lamp cords, etc. Must have had quite a lot of rubber and vinyl pieces pass through her system with no apparent harm!

Whoever was chewing on the stuff has stopped. And I cut out as much as I could. Everyone is still healthy, so it must have just passed through. Might have been the kitswhen they first came out and were exploring.

next time, I'll know to keep as much of various odd things OUT of the way :)

Latest posts

Back