Rabbitry re-organized

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Caper Farm

Reaction score
Yay! I finally got all the rabbits moved into their new quarters, what we call the "run-in shed". It's an addition onto the barn, with an overhead door and we used to use it for the horses, but they're out of luck now. :twisted:

It will be nice not to be carrying feed and water back and forth between the two barns. Eventually, I'll cut a door through into the main barn and then I can leave the big door closed in the nasty weather. I plan to build some more cages and work my way up to about 25 breeding does by summer.

Excellent! Happy bunnies

I, er, cleaned the rabbitry today. (dumped the poo tubs and cleaned out the colony). Not QUITE as much work..but....

golly. I can not WAIT until I can get out to the farm and everyone gets new digs.

25 breeding does? oh my....that's a LOT of rabbits! If they all had 10 kits..and all kindled at once...the mind boggles! although..at least they're QUIET..not like having 250 chicks peeping all at once. or, god forbid, 250 goat kids maaaaa-ing

I don't plan on breeding them all at once! :shock: The plan is to stagger the breedings, maybe five a week.

Not quite 250 goat kids, but there will be quite a few starting in less than two months. Six due the last week of March.

DON'T talk abotu goats - especially pygmy goats who need to be bottle fed - JUST don't do it ... :)

Oh, that reminds me - somebody gave me two Pygmy wethers. They could do with a good home as I already have four useless pet wethers. :D

LOL, Brody... It's a legitimate question. I know pygmy goats are as cute as a button, but I refuse to deny my carnivore tendencies... And I would imagine that there are just not enough good pet homes available for all of them.

Well, Pygmies are a miniature meat breed, but most end up as pets. Excess dairy bucklings can be wethered and raised for meat or pets as well. All goats can be trained to pack and/or pull a cart. Pack goats are very popular in some areas for hiking. I know of one fellow who uses them to go into inaccessible areas and clean up grow-ops.

These two little guys used to go for walks every day with their owners.

Gabriel, my biggest wether, is one I hope to train to pull someday - but he's earned his keep, doing the Kia ad, and charming everyone in the Santa Claus parade, as well as doing a guest appearance at Faery Fest. :) He loves to cuddle and nuzzle your neck and hair - big ol' softie.

oh gosh ... don't show me your two latest dumpies ...

__________ Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:00 pm __________

how big are they?<br /><br />__________ Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:01 pm __________<br /><br />ideally would love a pygora or three as you know but have always liked the naughty pygmy wethers I've known ;)

Barney is brown, and is the bigger of the two. Zeus is black, smaller and has a crooked neck - doesn't seem to bother him. Both are friendly, and fairly quiet, always a bonus!

I also got a nice Nigerian doe out of the deal, who happens to be a granddaughter of one of my does, and a daughter of one of my current bucks. Her mother is here for breeding, as well - different owner.

How do you build your cages, Half Caper Farm? I'm trying to figure out what works best for building and I'm trying to gather all the information I can.

Thanks,
Logan

Mostly I buy the unassembled cages - all the pieces are cut to size and I just have to clip them together. I have made them from "scratch", just cut the wire to six-foot lengths. That's a little more work, but I had some free wire.

I make six-foot cages, some with two "holes", some with three for the Lionheads.

Latest posts

Back