Rabbitry Plans - Assistance?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozemba

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of thinking... I really would like to pursue a hobby rabbitry. Breed for colors, sell the ones I don't need as show/pets. I've got 3 does now. On the hunt for a buck or two, we'll see if I want to keep back one of the kits I have now...

Anyway. I've got an area to use as a rabbitry, it's "indoors" in an old dirt floor garage, with a floored workshop area. I found an online workshop planner that I have bent to my will into a rabbitry planner.

Here's what I've got so far.

rabbitry.png

The cat is not a cat, it's a very heavy radial arm saw that I can't move by myself... The area I'm taking over into a rabbitry was once a woodworking/hobby shop. The dog, however, is a dog, my golden Kuiper can't help but make sure he knows what I'm up to if I'm in the garage.

Growout pen next to the door, maybe double stacked eventually. Cages along the north "wall".

Still thinking on what I can do with the space. Definitely want to hang cages, I've got bare rafters above so it shouldn't be too difficult. <br /><br /> -- Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:27 pm -- <br /><br /> My questions are:

How will ventilation work in such an area, how should I place fans in the summer? Winter?

The north 'wall' isn't a wall, it's just the edge of the platform, about a foot drop onto the dirt floor. I could hang the cages over that, and have more floor space for other things...

The south wall has a worktop/bench attached to it, between the door and window, should I keep that as a work space and move the grow out cage?

I know not to put anyone in the window (direct sunlight) unless I cover it, but it lets in so much light I'd hate to do that.

I want to have a little rabbitry, too. I have a former dog house (it's really huge) that's used as storage. It'll be a while before I can do anything to it, though. Here's to our goals for rabbitries.
:cheer1:
You have a pretty good plan going on there. I'm a bit confused. You said the north wall isn't a wall, so what is behind the cages? Are there any windows?

F.R. BunnyRabbit":u2gv7xyd said:

You have a pretty good plan going on there. I'm a bit confused. You said the north wall isn't a wall, so what is behind the cages? Are there any windows?

The garage itself is probably 20' by 16'. The previous homeowner made part of it into a workshop, with a raised wooden platform floor. The workshop area is 12' by 8'. The north 'wall' is just the edge of the platform, it continues space-wise into the rest of the garage with dirt floor. The only window is on the south wall next to the door. The double doors to the garage part are on the west wall north of the platform

I think during the summer you should place fans by the doors aiming inward to pull some air in; It works especially well during the night. That's what I do inside my house during the hot summer. Just a suggestion; it may not work for everyone.

I like this one better. If it were me, I would try to find a way to add one more cage on the east wall. That way you'd have cages for two breeding trios. Or, if you want to stick to a single buck, a cage on that wall separates him from the does and prevents any possible "through the wire" pregnancies.

With three does, it would give you a couple cages to let prospective keepers grow out. Or...they could get filled by rabbit math. :)

Marinea":27ouzvnc said:
Or...they could get filled by rabbit math. :)

I know about that rabbit math. It's dangerous and sneaks up on you.

-- Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:44 pm --

So for Hollands, cages are generally 24"x24" for does and 24"x18" for bucks?

I think I want to go a tad bigger, with the 30"x24" for does and 24"x24" for bucks. Should have plenty of room for next boxes and does, once kits are out I'll move them to a bigger grow out with mom, 36"x24"?

Better to buy bigger than smaller, I suppose?

I'm going to go ahead and buy two cages, see how I like them. Then maybe order more cages or just wire.

I'm a lazy person at heart, but I got another little tractor built today, 8'x6' out of pvc. Goes together with a lot less work than it would if it was lumber. I can put the does out together for some supervised playtime. Binkies abound. If they start to chase I put the instigator in a large wire dog crate next to the pen. She can have grass but no chasing. Today was mostly checking everything out then lounging in tubes.

I need to build a roof for it, then I'll call it done. So far materials cost $27 for the pvc and elbows, leftover wire (free!), and a lot of (already owned) zip ties. I used probably 60ish 8" zip ties.

Back