Rabbitry Names?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a name specifically for my rabbitry but my property is called The Welcome Homestead because everyone is welcome here. To be honest, I didn't put much thought into it, I was just going about my business one day and it just popped into my head. I do enjoy hearing about people who have come up with clever names for their places.

It took me forever to pick my rabbitry name. I didn't want to have a breed included, knowing that I might add or subtract breeds at some point. I also didn't want the name to have anything to do with location, even though I have no intention of moving.

During WWI and WWII, the government encouraged people to grow gardens and can their own food as part of the war effort. They were called "War Gardens" or "Victory Gardens". Some of these gardens included raising domestic rabbits for meat and the fertilizer they produce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_garden

I started raising rabbits as a meat source for my family and have an extensive raised bed garden, so named my rabbitry "Victory Garden Rabbits". I think it fits perfectly, and I like the history behind the name. :)

It is also my way of thumbing my nose at today's government which considers those of us that practice self sufficiency to be possible domestic terrorists. :twisted:

***We actually have another thread on this very subject, which I just pasted my answer from.

post225928.html

I'm a mythology nut and I always liked reading about the tricksters of myth like Loki, Puck, Coyote, and others so because the rabbit is also viewed as a 'trickster' in some Myths I just picked that and thus Tricksters Rabbitry became mine...

I started with Heritage something-or-other, but found it's beyond overused for farm names (it's our homeschool name - required in NC when you register and is used on all paperwork. I based it off of Psalm 127:3). I started using various forms of Four Ring (for Four Ring Circus ;) ) for different things (like Pinterest) and thought Four Ring Rabbitry flowed well. What sealed the deal is that my favorite quilt pattern is double wedding ring so when planning out a barn quilt square I decided that would be perfect and have incorporated that into a logo as well.

Ours is "Whitehaven Woods Rabbitry" - our last name is "White" our property & home is a haven to us and it is a wooded property. Thus, when all the renovations were done and we moved in I began referring to our property "Whitehaven Woods". It seemed a good name for our rabbitry.

MamaSheepdog":1evfh689 said:
***We actually have another thread on this very subject, which I just pasted my answer from.

post225928.html
I see I never posted there, though I see Galadriel did.

When we started out, I figured the kids would like to have a hand in naming the rabbitry, so I tried to pick their brains about it. They had -zero- ideas, so I finally named it "24 Carrot Rabbitry" as kind of a joke.

Now that we're out in the country and have chickens and are aspiring to other livestock, we named our place "Sithrah Farm". "Sithrah" is from the Bible, a Hebrew word meaning "refuge", "secret place", or "hiding place". Having lived in the suburbs and the city for years, this place really is a refuge for us. Even now, my beloved Shay works downtown, but he loves driving back out here in the middle of nowhere. It's something of a secret place, too... most people have never even heard of our town, and those who are given very clear directions to our house manage to pass our little gravel road right up. :lol:

For me, I never want to forget where my rabbitry got it's start. We live right on the 102 river in Missouri, so "The 102 Rabbitry" was born.

Back