Rabbitosis.... I've hit a spike in symptoms

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my Rabbitosis has spiked.
I think it may be weather related, but it could be related to having a litter that is at culling age.

Here are my symptoms:
1. Purchased a 9 hole grow-up cage (for the weaned to 12 week olds) from a show this weekend.
2. Found a mom/litter stackable online yesterday and ran out after work and bought it.
3. think I have 4 does bread... they don't look prego... thinking about re-breeding them and 4 other does.
4. picked up 2 JRs.. buck and a doe that have qualities I can use
5. counting the days till I can use said doe for breeding
6. buying cages that I need for breeding, but don't have room for...... unless I convince the barn owner to let me rent another stall......$$
7. made arrangements to buy a buck after another breeder is done with him. (after only seeing photos of said buck)
8. realizing I could have had: a one week trip for 2 paid for, with rabbit spending

I don't think aspirin will help.
Any suggestions?

Oh, you poor dear! :cry:

Resistance is futile. You have full-blown chronic rabbitosis. There is no known cure, although there are remissions. :x

You are handling your disease in an appropriate way to mitigate the painful symptoms, but please understand that these are palliative measures only. :?

We do offer a Twelve Step Program, as I'm sure you are aware.
new-12-step-program-t8050.html
Unfortunately, I have yet to hear of anyone who has found it helpful. :shrug:

Still, at least you will know you are in good company. :twisted:

Thanks Maggie
I can feel your empathy!!

I am feeling a little guilty as that trip would have came in handy for my Darling Husband; his job is more stressful that mine.
But, the money is spent and the bills are paid, so ... life goes on.

Looking forward to grilled rabbit, in a couple of weeks and more popples in the nest boxes.
Maybe I will control the spending for a couple of months and see if I can gather enough together for a early summer get away.... after all, how may cage deals can I find??

SarniaTricia":1cs3jqem said:
Thanks Maggie
Hmmm . . . do I detect a slight note of sarcasm here? :?

I am feeling a little guilty as that trip would have came in handy for my Darling Husband; his job is more stressful that mine.
If your hubby truly is a darling, he will understand your uncontrollable urge to satisfy your need for more, more, more! :roll:

Looking forward to grilled rabbit, in a couple of weeks and more popples in the nest boxes.
Make all your hubby's favourite rabbit dishes! :yes:

Maybe I will control the spending for a couple of months and see if I can gather enough together for a early summer get away.... after all, how may cage deals can I find??
Good idea! Don't even look at Kijiji or local papers want ads in the meantime. :nono:

there's no hope. i'm coming down with it too....i had two litters by a buck i thought was sterile and they're just too pretty to eat...sigh. so much for having more cage space.

SarniaTricia":2c80gi68 said:
Thanks Maggie

Good luck with controlling the spending. I still find rabbit things to spend money on after having them for over 2 years. I just got my first tatoo pen :p It has been over a year since I actually bought a rabbit though so I guess that is good. I'm pretty happy with the stock I have right now and I'm looking forward to the litters I have due.

I seem to find my rabbitosis is fairly controlled so long as I keep around 8-12 breeding does (I even have a few empty cages atm :shock: ). That keeps my time and feed cost where I am comfortable and keeps our freezer well stocked.

Playful sarcasm Maggie.. always playful sarcasm...

I mean.... this group is sooooo helpful in managing Rabbitosis!!

Alforddm..... I have been under control for almost a year... ok, more like 6months... then all of a sudden... bam.... I'm hopeless!

Just saw another cage for sale..... nope, want to stay with my understanding (but has a limit to his patience) Darling Dearest

SarniaTricia":w4warylz said:
Just saw another cage for sale.....

Here's an idea... share the deals with people in your area that could use them. If no one else takes it over a short period of time (deals tend to disappear right quick, so don't give it too much time), then it was meant to be and you'll just have to go get it. :mrgreen:

By that reasoning... you're not really buying things on impulses anymore. ;)

Nymphadora":1c8b8w1b said:
SarniaTricia":1c8b8w1b said:
Just saw another cage for sale.....

Here's an idea... share the deals with people in your area that could use them. If no one else takes it over a short period of time (deals tend to disappear right quick, so don't give it too much time), then it was meant to be and you'll just have to go get it. :mrgreen:

By that reasoning... you're not really buying things on impulses anymore. ;)

Nymphadora, Nymphadora . . . talk about subtle enabling!
:shock: :lol: :roll:

The only thing that keeps my rabbitosis in check is my dad. He isn't a big animal lover, and while he allows me to have rabbits and does help me build cages and the like, I don't think he'd be too happy if I told him my latest idea(more cages for more bunnies! :p ).
However, I have managed to acquire 7 rabbits and breed them often. He might even be catching the disease. He told me I had to keep a buck I bred(that I don't really have use for, it's a cross), because he is the cutest one I've ever had. Well, yes, I am happy about the arrangement, but back to the point! I now think rabbitosis is contagious! My mom and several siblings are coming down with it... maybe your hubby will catch it too!
Otherwise, there is no cure. I am sure that without my dad my illness would be much more serious.

I can't talk either.. went from 2 pet does to... I don't even know what's out there now.. have just invested thousands into a new shed and all new caging and auto watering system etc etc. I have a problem.. but my hubby doesn't mind. Much. Hahahha

Back